Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2007, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Update on Townsend/Farha/Baldwin Game Monday?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
75s,

In the absence of first hand knowledge, logical deduction is more than enough.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, Farha sux at poker. He has and never will beat anyone. Money is all from prostitution ring. Brian is god! Pray in the direction of sbrugby FTW!

[/ QUOTE ]do you intentionally miss people's points, or are you just [censored] retarded?
Old 06-19-2007, 05:24 PM

TY for the post El D. You got your point accross without being an ass.

I understand the ego drive...just not in regard to poker at such a monsterous level. I differentiate it from something like professional sports, because you aren't really risking much. More power for wanting to be the best. I personally want to be the best where the upside is significantly greater than downside. Maybe if he cleans out everyone, it will be.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
75s,

It looks like Brian Townsend is trying to stake a claim as being the best in the world at poker. Now, imo, it's far too early to separate how much of Brian's success is due to him being good and how much is due to him running very well. But for him to be looked at, say five years from now, as one of the best in the world, these are the types of games he needs to be playing right now. There's obviously a lot of ego involved here, and maybe he could be doing other things to make more money or be more of a contributor to society or whatever. But I really don't see how you can really criticize someone for trying their hardest and taking risks to be the very best in the world at something. Sure, he's likely to not actually be the best and will probably not stay as hot as he has been the last couple of years. But maybe he will. And maybe he will turn out to be as good as some of his biggest fanboys think he is. Can't blame a guy in his position for taking a shot, and I definitely respect him for going for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with EL D here. I liken what he is doing to boxing. He is like one of the heavyweight champs of the world (of poker) right now and instead of ducking the other great boxers he is welcoming the challenge they are offering and taking on all comers. Alot if times in boxing, you have people who claim to be the best or have people who claim they are the best and refuse to step up and face the big names. He is doing exactly that.

Damn I wish I was in his shoes right now.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
75s,

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, Farha sux at poker. He has and never will beat anyone. Money is all from prostitution ring. Brian is god! Pray in the direction of sbrugby FTW!

[/ QUOTE ]do you intentionally miss people's points, or are you just [censored] retarded?

[/ QUOTE ]
Perhaps you should read the whole conversation. It was a sarcastic way of disregarding his point. He claimed to use "logic" but his assumptions were as unsubstantiated as my claim that "Farha is up". I countered his post with an equally frivolous assertion. He didn't pick on the sarcasm. So, I addressed it "reasonably" later (see above).
Old 06-19-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TY for the post El D. You got your point accross without being an ass.

I understand the ego drive...just not in regard to poker at such a monsterous level. I differentiate it from something like professional sports, because you aren't really risking much. More power for wanting to be the best. I personally want to be the best where the upside is significantly greater than downside. Maybe if he cleans out everyone, it will be.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not risking much here. Only money, which is easily replaceable.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:20 PM

Sorry to hijack this thread from it's great direction but I can give a little input. I was playing at the Bellagio last night on a table directly on the other side of the glass to Bobbys room. I wasn't observing all that closely but the game appeared to break after Baldwin quit. He walked out with a woman, neither took any money with them, and farha had a large amount of cash ( on top of a large amount of chips) in front of him. I would say the game broke around 12:30 am and Aba also had a large amount of chips in front of him. In side note 3rd hand gossip one of my friends who was playing before I got there said there was a rather large argument going on between Brunson and Elezra with a lot of yelling. That's all I know/ have heard.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
75s,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Perhaps you should read the whole conversation. It was a sarcastic way of disregarding his point. He claimed to use "logic" but his assumptions were as unsubstantiated as my claim that "Farha is up". I countered his post with an equally frivolous assertion. He didn't pick on the sarcasm. So, I addressed it "reasonably" later (see above).

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont have time to look it up, but there was a piece by someone, i believe Barry Greenstein, who talked about the big game and what they play.

In it, he said when Sammy is in town they throw out a lot of the games like triple draw and stud, and replace them with Omaha limit, O8 and PLO - games Sammy is said to be the best in the world at.

This is the key info my point is based on - if you assume it is correct, then everything i stated about him being a loser or a catalyst to bring in other losers and generally improve the game by losening others up is 100% logical.

If he were a massive winner, or someone who won without bringing in extra cash to offset said winnings, then when he turns up to play there is no way in hell they will change the game to suit him.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:49 AM

From Barry Greenstein, someone who actually knows SOMETHING about the big game and high stakes poker. This was in a PM (I was getting tired of listening to stupidities, so I figured I'd ask one who has a clue...)

[ QUOTE ]
Sammy has done well in the last year playing mainly PLO or PLO and one other game. He usually avoids playing if we play more than three different games. I think Sammy is a favorite over Brian in shorthanded PLO. I think Brian is a bigger favorite over Sammy in hold'em.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-20-2007, 06:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This thread needs a ceiling cat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it but LOLed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-20-2007, 07:20 AM

If Brian, Sammy and the other players had made a deal to sell the TV/DVD rights to these games, how much money could they likely have made? No need for the game to take place in the Bellagio, either, so the players could maximise their earn. Could anyone here make an informed estimate how much it would have been worth for the players?