Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 05:43 AM

Default Re: Poker Hedge Fund

I think this would be good for the games, but it will lose you money.

It will be practically impossible to find players who can beat a limit but do not have the bankroll for it, nor the ability to get that bankroll in the near future. There're lots of people who fall into the former category and very few indeed in the latter, perhaps none.

You will therefore pick players who cannot beat the games you are putting them in but may appear to be able to do so. Therefore those games get better.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:05 AM

There already is an UK-based organisation just like this called badbeat. I think it was setup by a couple of ex-traders and they fund players that can prove that they are "winners". Personally, I don't see how it can work out well for both the player and the backer at the same time - if you are already winning online then getting staked and playing higher isn't necessarily the best move. ilink
Old 06-20-2007, 05:07 PM

"I am based in NY but have partners in "safe jurisdictions" so we are expert in structuring offshore entities and tax haven stuff etc... "

WTF
Old 06-20-2007, 05:17 PM

"He said fund started with 25 players, most in NY playing online in a "hedge fund hotel hookup" and some pros in Vegas" - LOL

So we got a new boiler room and a new scamming/cheating high stakes team coming together. Nice. How do I sign up?

Anybody seen George?
Old 06-20-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to stake a cash pro pay him an hourly rate regardless of earn, with some sort of incentive plan built in. That's the only way I could see anyone agreeing to do it. I was staked in this manner for quite some time and loved it... Knowing that 10 hours of play will net you 2k or w/e regardless of how you run can be a very attractive deal.

Also, Kirk's thread is very good. Quite simply, there's a lot of players (including me) that would have a higher earn rate if they were completely fearless with respect to variance/bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think players on a scheme like this could also become very complacent about the thought behind their play though. Why bother playing your A+++ game requiring an awful lot of concentration when you can make the same amount of money auto-piloting and watching TV/surfing 2+2 at the same time?