Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 08:00 PM

Default Implied Odds Question

$2-$5 NL - One limper, tightest player at the table raises to $20, Bozo#1 calls, Bozo#2 calls on the button then the Unknown Quantity, as SB, calls with 42s. Assuming this is my typical game and most everyone has stacks in the $100* range, this call is IMHO insane.

My question for those that know, assume you read people like Gus Hanson. What stack sizes would you need to justify this $18 call?

*Yes, I know this is short. It's the way my game is played.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:11 PM

Default Re: Implied Odds Question

It's not a good idea to be calling a raise with 4-2s , even with 3 players in the pot oop .In fact , I wouldn't even call with 4-2s in position with a typical 100 BB stack .

I think many players over estimate their implied odds with s.c's . They don't realize that other players in the pot may also have speculative hands and won't pay you off unless they hit .
Old 10-17-2007, 04:07 AM

Never ever calling this one whatever my stack

"but it was soooooted"
Old 10-17-2007, 04:41 AM

You need to win more than $202 for it to be profitable. 42s wins about 8,9% of the time on a full table with all players all-in preflop. Note however that 42s is one of the hands that most people find highly unprofitable - people who play oneline lose more money playing with 42s than 72o - they have learned to fold 72o, but they dont seam to know when to fold 42s. Probably because they often lose their buy-in against a higher flush.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:39 PM

Let's see, what are the best hands can we make here: a 4 high flush, a 6 high straight or a full house fours over twos. What could go wrong?

Yep, I thought so, 42s is a trash hand.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:42 PM

I'm looking for a raiser or one of his callers to be a player willing to go broke with one pair. Then I want the effective stacks between me and the bad player to be about 20x the raise amount. Now I'm going to be pretty loose with my calls but the weakest hands might be connected 4-5 and better or 5-7 or better 1 gappers. With 2 big stack bad players in the pot in front of me it does not even mater if they are suited. 4-2 is so bad however, I can't remember every playing it out of the blinds. Well, maybe once or twice in a weak moment......

I'm thinking of it this way, I'm calling to get involved with a player(s) that is capable of making a big mistake. I'm not calling to player the good player that might have made the initial raise. I love having the error prone players near to my right so I don't have to guess when I have implied odds to get involved. If they are on my left I have to rely on my reads if they are likely to call the raiser or not, this is not as good.

Dave
Old 10-19-2007, 08:00 AM

No way in hell are you playing this hand here. Let's review:

There's a limper somewhere around early postion. A tight player follows up with a raise from EP or MP (you didn't specify FR or 6-max).. Gets a call from another MP or CO player, and then yet another call from the button.

If you call from the SB here, you can't even end the action, you've still got the BB and the initial limper to go.

Even if that works out, you're still out of position versus 3 to 5 players.

And of course your hand is weak. There are very few flops that you can continue on, and many of the ones you do hit will be hard to collect on (much more so since, again, you're OOP).

This is just a terrible spot to try and pull anything, and frankly even when you make a big hand and you get someone all in, you're probably behind. Is T44 a good flop for you if theres another player in this spot willing to put all his chips in? What about if you hit a flush?