Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 02:08 PM

Default Re: phill hellmuth and checking in the dark

hmmm ic thanks but wouldnt it be a better idea to see the flop and then check just incase he would want to bet out or is by not knowing what will come out and checking deny for information?
Old 10-09-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hmmm ic thanks but wouldnt it be a better idea to see the flop and then check just incase he would want to bet out or is by not knowing what will come out and checking deny for information?

[/ QUOTE ]

you will miss the flop more often than you will hit it
Old 10-09-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you will miss the flop more often than you will hit it

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but that means his opponent will check behind more times than he will bet and Phil will have allowed him a free card.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:15 PM

I think the pros of taking a free card OOP are bigger than the cons. You're getting 4 cards for the price of 3 OOP.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the pros of taking a free card OOP are bigger than the cons. You're getting 4 cards for the price of 3 OOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

But when Phil checks dark he will do it with an overpair like the 99. I just about LMAO when I saw that. So he's not putting Farha on any cards over a 9 and he couldn't be putting him on too many cards lower than a 9 either or else he makes those 2P, etc. Just a priceless Phil Hellmuth donk. And then he leaves himself no choice but to re-shove the turn and pray that Farha didn't really have anything. Sure, against Farha it probably is a good strategy but my god, you play cash poker like that and you won't last long.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But when Phil checks dark he will do it with an overpair like the 99. I just about LMAO when I saw that. So he's not putting Farha on any cards over a 9 and he couldn't be putting him on too many cards lower than a 9 either or else he makes those 2P, etc. Just a priceless Phil Hellmuth donk. And then he leaves himself no choice but to re-shove the turn and pray that Farha didn't really have anything. Sure, against Farha it probably is a good strategy but my god, you play cash poker like that and you won't last long.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, cause farha definetely couldnt raise a donk bet on the flop...

Your post was meaningless imo.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:55 PM

I've always thought checking in the dark is a fancy play done for no good reason. People I play with at the bar do it all the time. All it really does is take away one of your options. If someone calls you out of position and checks to you on the flop, you don't know if they hit it or not either, and could give the pfr a free card if he needed it.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, cause farha definetely couldnt raise a donk bet on the flop...

Your post was meaningless imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wrote that in the context of this thread about dark checking.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol teh strong overpairs
Old 10-10-2007, 03:44 AM

im prolly checking 99 there as well. @ least i do when i play online.

sammy's image has to be really out of line for me to bet.

I think i check b/c i usually play 200bb+ deep, sometime 300 or 400bb deep.

IDK if it is right or wrong, but I cant fault phil for cheking if they are super deep, b/c a RR is a very tough call IMO .