Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 05:38 PM

Default Poker Etiquette In Satellites

The following occured in a recent satellite and i would be grateful to know peoples opinion on the incident.

The satellite was down to the last 49 and only 48 received entry to the $100 rebuy later that evening. I had a healthy chip lead (36,000) and the short stack (2,500) was in the BB (2,000). I held AKos in early position and raised 3xBB. A large majority of the table then proceeded to abuse me saying I was out of order. Mainly because I was virtually already through and it made no odds to me if I let the short stack keep his BB. As it was my first ever satellite I assumed i'd broke some sort of poker etiquette and apologised to the short stack (he didn't accept it).

In hindsight though I don't see what I did wrong? I made an acceptable play and i'd have been doing the other short stacks a dis-service if i'd have just folded.

Was I in the right or wrong? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

There is a happy ending though and the short stack ended up lasting long enough to scrape through.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Poker Etiquette In Satellites

I would have folded, you're guaranteed a seat and the only way to possibly lose it is to voluntarily put chips in the pot.

That said, raising here doesn't make you a bad person.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:48 PM

it doesnt affect your EV at all (either way you are going to get a seat 100% of the time) so in that sense it doesnt matter what you do. as for etiquette... its bad etiquette to raise in the sense that shortstacks will get pissy at you, but it is far from immoral in any way and you should ignore anyone who claims it is.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:20 PM

imo you did nothing wrong

It's a satellite and you are the big stack. You should be raising a ton of hands regardless of what cards you hold and how many chips the short stack in the BB has.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A large majority of the table then proceeded to abuse me saying I was out of order. Mainly because I was virtually already through and it made no odds to me if I let the short stack keep his BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually see letting ultrashort-stacked BB walk on satellite bubble for no other reason than his being at your table as borderline collusion. So no, you didn't do anything close to unethical in my eyes.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a satellite and you are the big stack. You should be raising a ton of hands regardless of what cards you hold and how many chips the short stack in the BB has.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is obviously terrible satellite advice.

Anyhow, to the OP, I would have folded in your spot. In fact, the best move probably would have been to close the table b/c the only way for you to lose the seat would be to play a hand(s).

However, it is your satellite, your money, and your chips to play with. You can raise and do whatever the hell you want.

FWIW, the only economical reason for raising here is in hopes of ending the satellite earlier so you can play another game, have sex with some individual, etc. Otherwise, there is no economical reason for playing. There are however a plethora of non-economical reasons for playing (e.g. for the hell of it, to spite someone else, etc.)
Old 07-02-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is obviously terrible satellite advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

With 36000, 48 of 49 getting paid, and no significant stacks to your left, raising with AK brings your chance of qualifying from 100% to 100%, so long as you can resist the urge to put any more money in.

As the for ethics of raising, if I was a short stack on another table I'd be furious if a micro stack kept getting a free ride in the blinds.

When other players complain about your raise, I think they're basically asking you to collude with them. Their complaints are far more unethical than your raise.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:36 PM

you did nothing wrong imo, especially if that had been your normal raise even if there wasnt a bubble
Old 07-02-2007, 10:41 PM

You did nothing wrong. IMO it was unethical of the table to attack you for playing your hand as you see fit.

I think you should fold any two here from a strategy POV, however if you think you should raise and you don't because you're afraid of hurting other people's feelings or you're just trying to be a nice guy and gice the short stack a break, I think that's unethical.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:44 PM

You should minraise every hand and call any of their all ins(Assuming you are the big stack) out of spite for their awful satellite play.