Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 09:11 PM

Default Ridiculous prof story

So I'm sitting here making dinner, and my roommate tells me about some play his math prof pulled today.

Math 193, the "required" math class, unless you tested out of it with calc from high school.

Apparently today, about half the class wasn't there. So in response, the professor passes around a sign-in sheet. She says that once everyone's name is on it, she will have something for all of them. Here's where it gets interesting.

She says she's going to give them all an answer to the next test. Not extra credit, mind you, but an actual test answer. The question will be worth 5 points. She is going to hang onto the list, as well, and if anybody who's name is not on there answers the question right then nobody gets it - basically, no spreading it.

The question: What is the name of my fourth son?

How effed is that? A 100 level math course with NO attendance policy, forcing students who happened to not be here on this day (5th absence or 1st), automatically taking away 5 points on a MATH test because you don't know the name of her son.

I called her out on it and said it was BS. My roommate, who skips as much class as anybody I've ever known, thinks its perfectly fine and is all of a sudden saying its the student's responsibility to be in class. He brought up the fact that we pay approx. $16 per day per class to be there. I say that's enough loss if I know the material that professor is paid to teach. He says its not.

I know its long, but any thoughts? This seems like the type of thing I'd take to the department head if I were one of the people who was absent for the first time.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Ridiculous prof story

Seems fine to me. You should only skip the class if you know the material.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems fine to me. You should only skip the class if you know the material.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my point though.

The class is Math 193. Not "know my kid's name 101".

That woman is getting paid to teach mathematics. Her son's name has nothing to do with it, and to punish students in a class with no explicit attendance policy just seems outrageous to me, and I'm not even in the class.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:41 PM

edge,
The prof is being ridiculous. Whether I make an issue of it depends entirely on whether or not I get those marks.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:41 PM

$16 bucks per class per day sounds like a good deal. I think I pay $75 or something.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$16 bucks per class per day sounds like a good deal. I think I pay $75 or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what you get for going someplace cool like San Diego. I think I'm on my way out west once I get my degree and have the money to leave St. Cloud...
Old 04-17-2007, 09:46 PM

If its not extra credit then I'd be pissed if I missed class and there was no attendance policy.

You go to class to learn material, and if you can learn material without class, then class is obsolete. Especially for a required class.

I mean, of course professors are sometimes gonna hint to stuff on on the exam during class, use questions on test that mirror class examples, etc. but this takes it too far.

I had a few professors that gave EC for people that came to class on St. Patrick's Day, etc. without advanced warning, and I was fine with that.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If its not extra credit then I'd be pissed if I missed class and there was no attendance policy.

You go to class to learn material, and if you can learn material without class, then class is obsolete. Especially for a required class.

I mean, of course professors are sometimes gonna hint to stuff on on the exam during class, use questions on test that mirror class examples, etc. but this takes it too far.

I had a few professors that gave EC for people that came to class on St. Patrick's Day, etc. without advanced warning, and I was fine with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

I should amend my statement, as I cannot be certain as I was not in class. This is merely the way it was presented by my roommate. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks that it would be completely insane.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:03 AM

What's the prof's name? Google stalk ftw? Everyone's business is on the internet these days...

That being said, if you have to guess, go with "You don't have one." Statistically, she's unlikely to have 4 sons. On the other hand, given that she's asking the question, I don't know what the probability is.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:37 AM

dude tell your roommate to give it to you
if its something like rob or john it was a lucky guess

but that is crap but seriously go to class