Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker

Old 11-27-2007, 10:13 PM

Default HU Theory...Endgame

It's nearing the end in your SNG.
You have 2500 chips, villain has 500 chips.
Blinds are 30/60

How do you play? Tighten up? Loosen up? Play the same? Lets say villain was TAG...or LAG...or tight/passive or loose/passive. How do you adjust?

Now a different scenario:
Villain has 2500 and you have 500 (lets say you were bad beated...or villain just outplayed you on one crucial hand).
Blinds are 30/60

How do you play? Tighten up? Loosen up? Play the same? Lets say villain was TAG...or LAG...or tight/passive or loose/passive. How do you adjust?

I made this post becuase when it comes to the end game I lose a lot of equity because I suck as a shortstack and have let opponents come back from 200 chips before =(.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:16 PM

Default Re: HU Theory...Endgame

this depends a huge amount on the blinds.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this depends a huge amount on the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

can't believe i left htat out.

i edited it in.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:45 PM

if there is no link to sage in the sticky then u should go unflamed but this is literally the most often discussed topic (maybe tied with HU SNG BR requirements) on these boards and seriously one can only watch so many pissing contests between jay_shark and tnixon
Old 11-27-2007, 10:53 PM

i think there's a better alternative strategy to SAGE most of the time.

Going all in preflop or folding at the 2500-500 chipstack levels isn't really that optimal...if he doubles up once he's back in the game...so i definitely wouldn't want to play a sage style here...
Old 11-27-2007, 11:03 PM

The fact that you have 2500 chips does not matter since you can only lose 500 . It would be equivalent if you had the same amount of chips as villain so we can assume that R= 500/60 = 8.333 according to SAGE . This implies that a raise or fold strategy against an expert player following SAGE would show a small loss in expectation . You're better of mixing your play by raising/shoving and limping depending on your opponent .

So this means that if your opponent would call a tighter range than SAGE recommends , then you're better off shoving with ~ the same hands recommended by SAGE and you may even add more hands ! Likewise , the opposite may be true if your opponent is fairly loose than what is considered optimal .
Old 11-27-2007, 11:09 PM

asq,

if u are not into SAGE u can also read mathematics of poker. it has a similar equity-based strategy that also doesn't really lean on "but if i lose s/he'll have more chips!" so u might not like it either

anyhow GL
bbbushu
Old 11-28-2007, 06:10 AM

yea, jay_shark is QFT here, 2500-500 and 500-2500 are basically the same scenario, since in HU all you really measure is chip EV, and the effective stacks are 500 either way. Anyways, seriously, go out and find some winning players at the higher stakes, there are plenty of VERY solid players playing each night in the 220s+ and watch some of their end game, alot suprisingly play very differently, for instance i've seen jmac, BCM, and Genius all play end game very differently, so go check it out and see what you pick up, their approx % of shoving, or limping, and check they hands they show down with, those who call and who get called, thats my best advice, GL
Old 11-28-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yea, jay_shark is QFT here, 2500-500 and 500-2500 are basically the same scenario, since in HU all you really measure is chip EV, and the effective stacks are 500 either way. Anyways, seriously, go out and find some winning players at the higher stakes, there are plenty of VERY solid players playing each night in the 220s+ and watch some of their end game, alot suprisingly play very differently, for instance i've seen jmac, BCM, and Genius all play end game very differently, so go check it out and see what you pick up, their approx % of shoving, or limping, and check they hands they show down with, those who call and who get called, thats my best advice, GL

[/ QUOTE ]

that's a really good idea.
thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]