Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 12:12 AM

Default Re: Need Help - Staking/Smoking Pot Question

overall, pot is -EV while playing poker. i no longer smoke before or during play and my results have improved.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:31 AM

I say this if I didn't smoke and I am playing I will play my A game a lot but I will easily tilt and play my C game a good chunk of the time as well as get bored and prob quit a shorter session.

if I do smoke I def don't play my A game prob a B+ but I play B+ like 90% of the time also I can play longer sessions and I am less likely to get bored and do something redic because I want to quit my session earlier.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:39 AM

I shoot cocaine directly into my eyeballz. Staek me plz.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:40 AM

The real question is, does DeebSpellcheck smoke pot while correcting shaundeeb's posts?
Old 11-27-2007, 12:44 AM

I know heavy smokers that can drive/play games/etc the same or better when they're high, and I know lightweights who I barely trust to walk while high(myself, Im like a tyrannosaurus thats tail flings wildly knocking over trees and ish) I think it depends heavily how high his tolerance is/strength of strain/how much in a session he smokes, aka you cant really get a general answer that works at all.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:55 AM

actually all of this is irrelevant since its your [censored] money and he can either agree or not be staked.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

That said, I think I probably make some mistakes because I'm high, but I also think I make some plays I wouldn't have otherwise which are +EV for sure.

Also it keeps me sane, and I think this is the number one issue. If it helps me handle bad beats, etc. while multi-tabling and not tilting, it's +EV to me overall even if it makes me slightly worse at any individual decision (which I don't think it does)

[/ QUOTE ]

agree with this word for word

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-27-2007, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
actually all of this is irrelevant since its your [censored] money and he can either agree or not be staked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that I have the final say, since I'm the staker. However, I also want him to do as well as possible - I could care less if he smokes or not, it's more about evaluating EV. I was merely curious on whether or not smoking is plus or minus EV - I now realize, this question really isn't going to go anywhere, and it's obviously all about the individual. In this particular case, he seems to think it won't affect his play, so I'll trust his judgement.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:10 AM

I wonder how often I IM my friends and am like "Man I just donked off my stack cause I'm so high"

Probably kind often [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But at the same time I think there's a lot of times where I end up stacking someone because I'm so high too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The thing is we're not really going to know if individual decision making is negatively affected, but I think the biggest issue for ALL of us that smoke while we play is it relieves stress, helps concentration, prevents tilt, and allows us to play LONG sessions - all of which are enough +EV to overcome and slight -EV decision making.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:11 AM

i have played MTTs while high maybe three times total and two of those times i final tabled one.

the defense rests your honor