Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-22-2007, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Moving a dog to a cold climate

Update: Today the snow is melting so the dog found some grass to poop in. Still no idea how to get her to poop in the snow. My wife didn't think it was funny when I told her she could take the snow shovel out and dig a spot for the dog.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:57 PM

RR,

Punish when the dog is pooping in your house. Reward when the dog poops outside. That's really all you can do. You can win this battle, but it will take some time.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
RR,

Punish when the dog is pooping in your house. Reward when the dog poops outside. That's really all you can do. You can win this battle, but it will take some time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea we gave her a treat for pooping outside. We havee't been able to catch her popping inside because she sneaks off to go poop.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:07 AM

No offense OP, but after reading the title then seeing this.

[ QUOTE ]
I recently moved to Colorado.

[/ QUOTE ]

It made me crack up laughing. I moved to CO for a job and after a year I moved back to NE Minnesota because CO was to fricken hot for me. I am used to the 40 below winters articknight was talking about. Its crazy we have the same weather as most of Alaska here, but we do.
Anyway, I got 2 German Shorthair pointer pups not long before I moved to CO. They were great with the weather there, especially with the shorthair coats. When I took them back to MN in the winter the first time, they really didn't want to go outside but I made them and they adjusted pretty quickly. Now they like cold air and water. It is kinda like the concept of force fetching, make them do it and they will learn to just do it.
Have fun in CO and if you don't like the cold I wouldn't recommend Minnesota.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:06 AM

RR

Call a local dog trainer. He/She may have some better tips for helping your dog out. And if that doesn't work, like somebody else said "tie the dog to a tree til its craps".
Old 10-23-2007, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

if he poops in the house, rub his nose in it and boot his ass outside - eventually he'll get the hint - problem solved - they learn to avoid negative behavior fast. -

[/ QUOTE ]

Studies have shown that dogs don't associate the negative attention with the bad behavior unless you catch them in the act. So you have to get him while he's pooping or peeing otherwise he's just going to be confused as to why you're yelling at him.

[/ QUOTE ]

How come my dog runs out into the alley immediately when I open the door when she has either 1. gotten in the garbage, eaten food off the counter or 2. had diarrhea and went in the house? She only does this if she has done one of the two things stated above. Shenanigans I call.

Sounds like your dog just wants to crap on grass and the cold isn't the issue. My dog is kind of the same way. She will go on snow but in the summer if there's no grass around she won't. She won't go on gravel, etc. Not sure how to fix this.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:20 PM

RR,

Two options.

1) Leave the dog outside tied to a tree until she goes, as already suggested.

2) If you take her out and she doesn't go, put her in a crate until you try again. Repeat until she goes outside, and only then allow her free run inside. Repeate until she goes readily outside.

Also, regularize her routine if it isn't already. Always feed and walk at regular times.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How come my dog runs out into the alley immediately when I open the door when she has either 1. gotten in the garbage, eaten food off the counter or 2. had diarrhea and went in the house? She only does this if she has done one of the two things stated above. Shenanigans I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you speaking or acting angrily towards the dog? Dogs can sense your mood and pick up changes in tone of voice. Your dog is probably aware that you are upset with her, but does not realize that eating garbage or crapping on the rug is the cause of your ire.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2) If you take her out and she doesn't go, put her in a crate until you try again. Repeat until she goes outside, and only then allow her free run inside. Repeate until she goes readily outside.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is it. Crate training works.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you speaking or acting angrily towards the dog? Dogs can sense your mood and pick up changes in tone of voice. Your dog is probably aware that you are upset with her, but does not realize that eating garbage or crapping on the rug is the cause of your ire.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. What part of "immediately when I open the door" did I not make clear. O.K. One more time. The second the key is in the door and I open the door enough for her to squeeze her head through, she's booking it to the alley. Whether or not she's running for the alley is my way of knowing if she's done something wrong inside the house before I ever even turn on a light. If she's done nothing wrong she will stretch, wake up, wag tail, etc. If she's done something wrong she's literally forcing the door open once it's a crack open and running to the alley. I don't change moods until I see the damages and by that time she is already in the alley hiding out.