Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 10-12-2007, 04:38 PM

Default Re: why does this forum care so much about religion

[ QUOTE ]
Well start a new thread at some point then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds good. BTW, I actually like you when I don't think you're being a dick [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. You make some good posts. Sorry for being a dick in return, it's a reflex [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img].
Old 10-12-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tpir,
What, exactly, am I claiming knowledge of?

Please be explicit in what you believe I am claiming knowledge of, and any evidence that I have posted that leads you to this conclusion.

[/ QUOTE ]
No. I am not getting involved in your semantic games. The posts in this thread and the one I quoted have enough representative content for fair-minded people to see. i.e. your attitude of "well i refuse to back down on this because FROM MY PERSPECTIVE it makes perfect sense."

If you really want an example though... you appear to be claiming knowledge about math, science and the types of truth statements they make, and missing the point very badly. I will let Subfallen elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that was a pathetic attempt at a straw man, purposeful or not.

Edit: To make it clear, Matt, it doesn't matter if you claim to have knowledge of something or not. tpir was correct that you are acting very confident in your arguments concerning the subject of math. I don't want to get into about whether or not you have any knowledge of math. It is simply irrelevant whether or not you claim knowledge of it.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tpir,
What, exactly, am I claiming knowledge of?

Please be explicit in what you believe I am claiming knowledge of, and any evidence that I have posted that leads you to this conclusion.

[/ QUOTE ]
No. I am not getting involved in your semantic games. The posts in this thread and the one I quoted have enough representative content for fair-minded people to see. i.e. your attitude of "well i refuse to back down on this because FROM MY PERSPECTIVE it makes perfect sense."

If you really want an example though... you appear to be claiming knowledge about math, science and the types of truth statements they make, and missing the point very badly. I will let Subfallen elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not. I think you are projecting things into my argument that aren't there. For evidence of this, I think you should realize that you simply said "you appear to be" and could not point to any direct things I have said.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that was a pathetic attempt at a straw man, purposely or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gah. From me? If so, can you point to it? Or is it from tpir? From your other post in this thread, I'm guessing you were talking about me. But considering the accusation makes no sense when directed at me, I am not sure.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Theism is a problem in our world.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Someone believing in God is a problem for you? LoL.

pokervintage

[/ QUOTE ]

My cousin is gay. My aunts neighbor was in the tower. My neighbors cousin was raped and needs an abortion. My best friends sister-in-law's niece has aids in africa. My ....

Yep. It's a problem for me. How personal does it have to be before it can be deemed a problem? I'm not a gay pregnant person with aids in africa if that's what you're wondering.
( I made up the other stuff).

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

Non-Christian regimes were the root cause of the death of perhaps 100,000,000 people last century.

But no need to worry, we're all better, enlightened and all.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pokervintage

[/ QUOTE ]

My cousin is gay. My aunts neighbor was in the tower. My neighbors cousin was raped and needs an abortion. My best friends sister-in-law's niece has aids in africa. My ....

Yep. It's a problem for me. How personal does it have to be before it can be deemed a problem? I'm not a gay pregnant person with aids in africa if that's what you're wondering.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

Non-Christian regimes were the root cause of the death of perhaps 100,000,000 people last century.

[/ QUOTE ]

that 'argument' always seems retarded to me.
"I don't want a bear to eat my dog."
"Why, more dogs are killed by cars than bears".
"oh, ok, then I guess I do want a bear to eat my dog".

Where does it imply that I want to be abused by a non-theist regime? I stated the things I don't want to occur because of some guy doing what his god is telling him. I try to keep the other nutties out of power also.

If Pol Pot comes back in power and kills 40,000,000 next year, I still don't want a rape victim to be forced to go to term in Alabama.
How you read that as support for Pol Pot, or meaning that Pol Pot wasn't worse.... oh, never mind, I do know why.

luckyme
Old 10-12-2007, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pokervintage

[/ QUOTE ]

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that 'argument' always seems retarded to me.
"I don't want a bear to eat my dog."
"Why, more dogs are killed by cars than bears".
"oh, ok, then I guess I do want a bear to eat my dog".

Where does it imply that I want to be abused by a non-theist regime? I stated the things I don't want to occur because of some guy doing what his god is telling him. I try to keep the other nutties out of power also.

If Pol Pot comes back in power and kills 40,000,000 next year, I still don't want a rape victim to be forced to go to term in Alabama.
How you read that as support for Pol Pot, or meaning that Pol Pot wasn't worse.... oh, never mind, I do know why.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

Accept that it's a trade. Eliminate Christianity and understand that the opportunity for Stalin and Pol Pot is increased, and with it, so is the chance your girlfriend won't be murdering any babies in the womb.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:07 PM

How is the opportunity for Stalin or Pol Pot increased with the elimination of Christianity?
Old 10-12-2007, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well start a new thread at some point then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds good. BTW, I actually like you when I don't think you're being a dick [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. You make some good posts. Sorry for being a dick in return, it's a reflex [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

One interesting quote regarding the possibility of consciousness/meaningful thought without any sensory precedent:

"Before my teacher came to me, I did not know that I am. I lived in a world that was a no-world. I cannot hope to describe adequately that unconscious, yet conscious time of nothingness....Since I had no power of thought, I did not compare one mental state with another."
- Helen Keller, The World I Live In (1908)

And of course Keller still had kinesthetic/tactile stimuli despite being deaf, blind, and mute.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:37 PM

the first posts by nielsio, metric and gumzilla all ring very true to me