Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 06:39 PM

Default What\'s Cooking EDF? #4

I was really happy with this. The combination of creaminess (coconut rice), spiciness (fish), and sweetness (vegetables)
was very interesting.

The vegetables were from the union square greenmarket and were extremely good. (baby carrots, bok choy, green garlic, green onion, ginger, and a little bit of sesame and olive oil) I've made this exact side with less fresh vegetables and it didn't come close.

The rest of the recipe can be found here: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...s/views/104812

I'm still not sure what I think about Copper River Salmon. It was good, but I'm not sure if I like it any better than the organic salmon I usually pick up at Citarella. Thoughts?
Old 06-23-2007, 06:54 PM

Default Re: What\'s Cooking EDF? #4

How much do you typically pay for organic Salmon? At the Palo Alto farmer'smarket today I saw pretty much $15-22/pound. I wanted it but that's just too much.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:58 PM

I usually spend between 15 and 20 dollars a pound. Anything around the 10 dollar range in NYC is usually pretty bad. I bet 20 dollar salmon where you live is really like 30 dollar salmon here.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:26 AM

Didn't take any pictures of my stuff [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

2 weeks ago, super easy dinner for my sister.

Cook baby spinach in frying pan with oil until wilted. Butterfly chicken breast. Stuff with spinach and goat cheese and pine nuts or slivered almonds. Top with some sundried tomato if you want.

Slice zucchini and yellow squash and asparagus and place on a baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil, basalmic vinaigrette, sunflower seed and salt over everything.

Put a clove of garlic in a cupcake pan. Pour about 1/2" of oil in the cupcake hole with the garlic.

Slice up some Italian bread and brush with olive oil and minced garlic and sprinkle some salt on. Bake. When the garlic is done, peel the cloves and put a few on each piece of bread. They'll be really soft and delicious.

Bake everything for like 30 minutes at 350.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:08 PM

Today I made a grilled sweet potato and scallion salad that I saw Bobby Flay make on Boy Meets Grill.

I had wanted to make it since I saw it and planned on making it today but didn't know what else I wanted. I ended up making a grilled flatbread with ricotta cheese, plum tomatoes, basil, and roasted garlic oil. (This was made on another episode of Boy Meets Grill, but I didn't see it and just used the recipe from the website).

I was quite pleased with how both of them came out. I forgot to salt + pepper the flatbread a second time (did once after the cheese) after putting the toppings on. It would have been a little more flavorful but was still quite good.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How much do you typically pay for organic Salmon? At the Palo Alto farmer'smarket today I saw pretty much $15-22/pound. I wanted it but that's just too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty standard for really fresh/organic stuff. Ironically, I eat a lot more meat/chicken than I do fish, but for some reason I can't see the difference in $/lb for meat, but with fish it's like night and day.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:14 PM

No pics for this one either, gotta get a new digital camera. Made this 2 weekends ago for fathers day to put on some salmon. My parents liked it so much they made make another batch the next day.

(Sorry if the formatting comes out weird, I started adding recipes for everything I make that I like to Google Base and I just copied it from there)

Mango Salsa

Ingredients:
4 champagne/yellow mangoes (3 if using regular mangoes)
3 firm tomatoes
1/2 bunch cilantro
1 red onion
Juice from 4 limes
Cholula or Tobasco to taste
Salt

Directions:

Dice tomatoes, mangoes, and onion and place in bowl. Chop cilantro finely. Mix everything together gently by hand.

In a small bowl mix the lime juice and hot sauce, then drizzle over salsa. Sprinkle salt over everything and mix again.

Cover in plastic wrap and let sit in fridge for one hour.

Serve on salmon, chicken or with corn chips. Makes enough for 6 + leftovers.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:07 PM

Shot with SCP-8400 at 2007-06-26
Old 06-26-2007, 11:30 PM

Possibly a bit low brow for this forum? but here's my variation of Spaghetti Bolegnese

chop the vegetables, onion, red and green peppers (i don't use mushrooms because i don't like them)

Please note that unless the Italian flag configuration is used during prep. your meal will be crap

Fry minced beef seasoned with black pepper, paprika and garlic together with veg in olive oil (i give the onion and pepper a minute head start in the pan):

Next add chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock, tomato puree and herbs (i use basil and oregano) and simmer for an hour:

Finally serve with your favourite pasta and a glass of wine (technically should be red with beef obv but i only drink white)

Old 06-27-2007, 01:11 AM

Goodstuff all. That salmon looks awesome.

I can't wait to use the "food" setting on my camera.
Closed Thread