View Poll Results: 6. FR MP2 w/ 88
Raise 2 4.88%
Call 19 46.34%
Fold 20 48.78%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2007, 12:15 AM

Default Re: The \"Halloween is ridiculous thread\"

[ QUOTE ]

I lived in the suburbs and did half that stuff growing up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and I lived in the suburbs and thought all that stuff was moronic growing up. Different strokes, I guess.

[ QUOTE ]
Grow a pair? You make it sound like World War III out there. Hope you got in your bomb shelter tonight and waited out the nuclear egg bomb fallout...

[/ QUOTE ]

I love how you went from "who could hate Halloween, it's just fun parties and candy", to "grow a pair, it's just a few eggs." And anyway since when do I need to grow a pair just because I think something is dumb?
Old 11-01-2007, 12:20 AM

Wow, lots of boobirds out tonight, tdarko [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2007, 12:24 AM

Skunk- My motto is "bend don't break."
Old 11-01-2007, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Some of you keep talking about issues that I don't have a problem w/. Kids being the biggest non-issue of Halloween.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, instead you're talking about the evil presence and rising prices of the capitalist pumpkin-patch market, declaring the candy in your pantry was much better than the candy the rest of the world ate when you were a kid, saying you were either too scared or not scared enough to appreciate haunted houses, and that you and your childhood friends were generally miserable because it was your parents fault.

I think it boils down to the fact that you seem determined to not enjoy this holiday, and are searching for reasons to justify it. Why you don't enjoy it, I can only speculate.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I love how you went from "who could hate Halloween, it's just fun parties and candy", to "grow a pair, it's just a few eggs."

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever get picked on in High School? Some people did but that doesn't make High School terrible. I'm sorry you feel the need to overdramatize Halloween into this giant cesspool of egg throwers and car vandalizers and paintball shooters. Sure, there are a few kids who do this. For the most part though it IS all about having harmless fun. Maybe we can continue this discussion after you've finished putting the barbed wire fence up around your house. Between that and the moat I'm sure none of the horrible rabid egg throwers will be bothering you this Halloween.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:39 AM

bebe,

1. I never once said that myself or my friends were ever miserable, as children or even now so I don't know where you're getting that from. If you go back you will see that all I said was that Halloween was something that we felt our parents made us do--and personally once I got old enough and started to voice my opinion I wasn't going trick-or-treating anymore. Nowhere did I say anything about being miserable.

2. Since I have never been miserable I don't see where a parental fault comes in?

Why are you just making stuff up, that is just weird?

Whatever, no worries over here I just thought it was odd that you just start ranting and getting angry and going on and on (as well as make up stuff) yet I am the grouch...maybe you should re-read that post of yours and think again--actually I think somebody got too many Now & Laters tonight and not enough Snickers like he wanted.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:43 AM

tdarko 4 mod
Old 11-01-2007, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...I was talking to some friends the other night and we were talking about we dressed up as kids for trick-or-treating and everyone of us came to the conclusion that we hated dressing up and it was basically something our parents made us do....

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a little snippet from your OP.

Okay, the technicality card has been played, you didn't use the word miserable. But you used the term "hated dressing up" and phrased the rest of that in your OP with a negative connotation if you ask me.

If you can follow my logic, you said you hated dressing up (hated = [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]). Then you said it was something your parents made you do (people making you do stuff you hate = [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]). I hope you can see where I went with that. It wasn't that much of a stretch of my imagination.

All I'm doing is voicing my own opinion, which is the opposite of yours: Halloween is indeed very fun, and should be celebrated without inhibition. (and without inhibition doesn't really mean egging people's cars or houses, it's not something I'd do at least)
Old 11-01-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe we can continue this discussion after you've finished putting the barbed wire fence up around your house. Between that and the moat I'm sure none of the horrible rabid egg throwers will be bothering you this Halloween.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again you're missing the point. I think Halloween is fun for little kids, but otherwise pretty damn stupid. It has nothing to do with being afraid of egg throwers, any more than it has to do with being afraid of people dressed like pirates or my neighbor putting a giant air-powered light-up inflatable pumpkin on his front lawn. I just think it's stupid.

I can't understand why someone thinking Halloween is stupid bothers you so much. I'm sure I like things that you think are stupid, and I wouldn't resort to insulting you over it.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't understand why someone thinking Halloween is stupid bothers you so much. I'm sure I like things that you think are stupid, and I wouldn't resort to insulting you over it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So why does everyone celebrating Halloween, or "overcelebrating", bother tdarko so much?