Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2007, 10:40 PM

Default Re: d.b. cooper first sky jacker

I have always loved this story, I had a book when I was in grade school about the worlds strangest crimes, or something along that nature, and this story has always stuck w/ me, and I enjoy looking at new "evidence" once or twice a year when Im bored, great stuff.

Another story in this book that I oddly remember, was about the "Chowchilla Kidnappings". A group of kidnappers hijacked a sdchoolbus, and buried it, demanding a reward. Also an interesting story.

both these stories was in a book about true crime that I read when I was 9 or 10, if anyone knows the name of the book let me know. thanks
Old 10-28-2007, 11:12 PM

i remember when the chowchiller thing happend. it was terrible but awesome at the same time.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:53 PM

The three Chowchilla kidnappers (from well-off families) still in prison. 31+ years. Up for parole, but denied.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:27 PM

Ray,

I figure DB Cooper, wherever he is, is probably a guy pretty much like you. In fact, pretty much EXACTLY like you.....
Old 10-29-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ray,

I figure DB Cooper, wherever he is, is probably a guy pretty much like you. In fact, pretty much EXACTLY like you.....

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you want to split any and all reward money?
Old 10-29-2007, 10:21 PM

after it happened in 1971 i think most free spirit types envied his style. how could you not.
plus he probably saved many lives as the airlines and law became aware of the dangers of what an idiot might be able to do.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:10 AM

This occurred in my old neck of the woods and I recall vividly the media attention and hype of this incident. It was quite a sensation and grew every day Cooper remained unfound. It was talked about endlessly and when the hunt was called off (for the body in the woods) Cooper was firmly planted into myth and has grown ever since. Whether his bleached bones and teeth will ever turn up or he spent his life in Uruguay on the Beach is just the type of story that fascinates and resonates with many Americans. I even remember seeing bumber stickers with 'D.B.Cooper Lives' on them not that long after the incident.

-Zeno
Old 10-31-2007, 07:07 AM

i hope they never find him and keep the story alive.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Another story in this book that I oddly remember, was about the "Chowchilla Kidnappings". A group of kidnappers hijacked a sdchoolbus, and buried it, demanding a reward. Also an interesting story.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm almost positive I saw a TV movie of this when I was a kid.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:00 PM

Chowchilla was launched into national headlines in July 1976 when an entire school bus of children was kidnapped. Twenty-six children and the adult bus driver were taken from the bus, which the kidnappers concealed under brush in a wash, and driven around in two vans for 11 hours before being forced into a moving van which had been buried in a quarry in Livermore, California. Part-time bus driver Ed Ray, a local farmer, enlisted the aid of some of the older children to dig their way out. After 16 hours underground they emerged in the middle of the night and walked to a nearby guard shack at the entrance to the quarry. All were pronounced to be in good condition and returned home to find that mass media had descended on the town. Ray was able to remember the license plate of one van while under hypnosis and this led to the capture of the kidnappers as they attempted to flee to Canada. A rough draft of a ransom note was found at the house of the owner of the quarry; the owner's son, Frederick Woods, and two friends, Richard and James Schoenfeld, were found guilty and sentenced to life in prison.[1] The ordeal was dramatized in the 1993 ABC-TV Movie Vanished Without a Trace starring Karl Malden, which is sometimes shown on the Biography Channel.