Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 02:17 AM

Default Re: How do Americans view Europeans?

Europeans why the speedo whats the deal?
Old 10-24-2007, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not all conservatives are hillbilly morons, just as all liberals aren't (<insert random stereotype here&gt

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, they are. Some just don't know it.

Being pro-gigantic unnecessary military is internally inconsistent with a belief in small government.

[/ QUOTE ]

So wait a second, your post about you liking hockey and driving a german car, was that supposed to be ironic? or was that a serious post? Im confused now.

If that was a serious post, you are a huge loser btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

My OP was satirical, but probably in different way than you're thinking. I was trying to point out that asking for a general American viewpoint towards Europeans is a silly question to begin with. For two reasons. First, a general orientation doesn't exist. A huge number of Americans to varying degrees have more in common with your average Western European than with other Americans (secular, bi or multilingual, well-traveled, highly educated, self-aware, etc.) And the ones that don't fit that description don't have opinions beyond American Idol or snackfoods about this subject that are worth hearing. So the whole original question is kind of silly.

The second is that Americans who are radically different from Europeans aren't going to be the kind of people capable of explicating a worthwile thought on the matter of cultural differences. They'll just say things like:

"I like my guns."
"I hate taxes."
"They're all gay."
"Chevys rule!"

[/ QUOTE ]

God, you are an arrogant prick. You Euros, just so you know, most Americans aren't arrogant pricks like this guy.

NCAces
Old 10-24-2007, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A huge number of Americans to varying degrees have more in common with your average Western European than with other Americans (secular, bi or multilingual, well-traveled, highly educated, self-aware, etc.) And the ones that don't fit that description don't have opinions beyond American Idol or snackfoods about this subject that are worth hearing. So the whole original question is kind of silly.

The second is that Americans who are radically different from Europeans aren't going to be the kind of people capable of explicating a worthwile thought on the matter of cultural differences.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a European I can just say that myself and most people I know have very little in common with pricks like yourself. And if you think that most Western-Europeans are people who would like going with you to the art-gallery, eat cheese and sip from a glass of red wine while disussing French poetry after a short ride in a smart little electrical car I have to disappoint you. We go mental when it comes to sport, we fight as much as Americans but we dont have the guns, we dress a bit smarter but that doesnt help much when were drunk off our ass, and basically all nations have their own popular Idol-version going on.

I hate to break it to you, but if you had grown up in an European country you would still have been picked last for sports, still would have been bullied and you would be angry at "all the stupid people in your country that are so different than you and dont get you and arent as sophisticated and self-aware" as yourself.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and basically all nations have their own popular Idol-version going on

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't wanna get involved in the xenophobic arguments, but Pop Idol was invented in the UK, and Big Brother in Sweden (?).
Old 10-24-2007, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and Big Brother in Sweden (?).

[/ QUOTE ] Holland I think.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:59 AM

There is one major cultural difference between Europe and the US, that hasn't gotten enough attention in this thread yet, imo.

In the US there seems to be an underlying mindset of: "Winner takes All"
This is definitely true for elections. Also most (all?) of US mainstream sports have no ties. The captain of the high school football team also gets to bang all the hot cheer leaders... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Basically in large parts of US society there is no place for a second winner, just for a first loser. This results in Americans being way more competitive and stressed all their lives.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is one major cultural difference between Europe and the US, that hasn't gotten enough attention in this thread yet, imo.

In the US there seems to be an underlying mindset of: "Winner takes All"
This is definitely true for elections. Also most (all?) of US mainstream sports have no ties. The captain of the high school football team also gets to bang all the hot cheer leaders... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Basically in large parts of US society there is no place for a second winner, just for a first loser. This results in Americans being way more competitive and stressed all their lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Football and the All-Star Game can tie.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A huge number of Americans to varying degrees have more in common with your average Western European than with other Americans (secular, bi or multilingual, well-traveled, highly educated, self-aware, etc.) And the ones that don't fit that description don't have opinions beyond American Idol or snackfoods about this subject that are worth hearing. So the whole original question is kind of silly.

The second is that Americans who are radically different from Europeans aren't going to be the kind of people capable of explicating a worthwile thought on the matter of cultural differences.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a European I can just say that myself and most people I know have very little in common with pricks like yourself. And if you think that most Western-Europeans are people who would like going with you to the art-gallery, eat cheese and sip from a glass of red wine while disussing French poetry after a short ride in a smart little electrical car I have to disappoint you. We go mental when it comes to sport, we fight as much as Americans but we dont have the guns, we dress a bit smarter but that doesnt help much when were drunk off our ass, and basically all nations have their own popular Idol-version going on.

I hate to break it to you, but if you had grown up in an European country you would still have been picked last for sports, still would have been bullied and you would be angry at "all the stupid people in your country that are so different than you and dont get you and arent as sophisticated and self-aware" as yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im beginning to like you commie punks more and more.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Europeans why the speedo whats the deal?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is where you definitely have to differentiate between countries. I think it's only people in Mediteranean countries who think that speedos are a good idea. Mostly, it's shorts. Except in Scandinavia, if you go swimming there you die of exposure if you are not eaten by a polar bear immediately.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:30 AM

The general consensus in the country i come from is that Americans are fat,uneducated,dress like [censored],stupid,overly patriotic and have [censored] food. Also people seem to think that your girls are ugly.

I've never really subscribed to that theory although the only places I've visited is the greater N.Y area and Northern California.

In the past three years I've started agreeing with all these things, the only difference is i don't apply it to Americans but the British.

FWIW I've lived in Britain for the last couple of years.