Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 10-17-2007, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentin

Rugby's done... 4th in the world, lost to south africa [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

However, Seleccion Argentina is looking verrry promising, destroying both Chile and Venezuela so far... Messi's friggin 18!!
Old 10-17-2007, 12:50 PM

Actually, you guys play off for 3rd place against France this weekend, to get technical [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Las Canitas is the devil of Buenos Aires. It's probably the single area I despise most because it is just so manufactured and American. Gah, never had a good time going out there. Find some bars you like in Palermo and live near them. Also, being walking distance to where you go out at night is over-rated given how cheap cabs are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting to get the perspective of someone there rather than real estate descriptions....Thanks. Any specific area in Palermo that you like? Hollywood vs. Viejo vs. Chica, etc.?
Old 10-17-2007, 09:23 PM

I mostly agree with Meteron about Canitas. It does have some good restaurants (maybe overpriced) and on a Fri/Sat you can't beat the girls, it is ridiculous. But the bars suck hard and most the restaurants are generic.

As far as the Palermos go... Chico shouldn't be included in the subset. It is pretty much all residential. It's the nicest area in the entire city, with blocks of 7 figure houses full of diplomats and old money. I am not sure how to really distinguish Viejo and Soho. Soho (where I live) prolly has better restaurants. Viejo has more resto/bar types with tapas and picadas. Soho (on the North side of Juan B Justo) is developing really fast, so I think the yuppy factor is bigger here, while viejo still has a little of middle class/family with kids feel to it. Bar wise, I am not sure which is better. Viejo has more boutiques and shopping in general. I am def partial to Soho, but that is probably biased.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:49 PM

sorry, a bit confused. the girls are hot but the bars suck.
what sucks about them then? that is the #1 thing i look for in a bar.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry, a bit confused. the girls are hot but the bars suck.
what sucks about them then? that is the #1 thing i look for in a bar.

[/ QUOTE ]

The girls aren't hot either, I don't know wtf he is talking about. They are really just horrible bars though.

Expensive, American, and horrible clientele. The girls are average argies/expats. I've also yet to find a good restaurant in the area. I've found plenty of overpriced restaurants, but none of them are near the top of their type of restaurant in the city. Better, cheaper food can be found elsewhere no matter what you want. Same with the bars.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I mostly agree with Meteron about Canitas. It does have some good restaurants (maybe overpriced) and on a Fri/Sat you can't beat the girls, it is ridiculous. But the bars suck hard and most the restaurants are generic.

As far as the Palermos go... Chico shouldn't be included in the subset. It is pretty much all residential. It's the nicest area in the entire city, with blocks of 7 figure houses full of diplomats and old money. I am not sure how to really distinguish Viejo and Soho. Soho (where I live) prolly has better restaurants. Viejo has more resto/bar types with tapas and picadas. Soho (on the North side of Juan B Justo) is developing really fast, so I think the yuppy factor is bigger here, while viejo still has a little of middle class/family with kids feel to it. Bar wise, I am not sure which is better. Viejo has more boutiques and shopping in general. I am def partial to Soho, but that is probably biased.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... what ppl calls "SOHO" is also Palermo Viejo. Lots of ppl wouldn't understand wtf Palermo Soho is, but in the las five years its been "advertised" that way. That area would be the one surrounding "plaza Cortazar" (formerly plaza Serrano), which after getting trendy it started to be called "soho", because someone had some kind of marketing idea. People living there would find that term laughable very often.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:45 PM

I wondered where 'Soho' came from. I just figured it reminded people of Soho New York. The name Palermo Hollywood still doesn't make much sense though. The Plaza Serrano/Cortazar thing is confusing too. I've always called it Serrano and that seems more popular amongst the people too, but about every map I see has it labeled as Cortazar. And just to make things more convoluted, The plaza just South of Serrano is being renovated. It used to be called Plaza Campana del Desierto, but the city is changing it to Plaza Palermo Viejo.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wondered where 'Soho' came from. I just figured it reminded people of Soho New York. The name Palermo Hollywood still doesn't make much sense though. The Plaza Serrano/Cortazar thing is confusing too. I've always called it Serrano and that seems more popular amongst the people too, but about every map I see has it labeled as Cortazar. And just to make things more convoluted, The plaza just South of Serrano is being renovated. It used to be called Plaza Campana del Desierto, but the city is changing it to Plaza Palermo Viejo.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called that way after NYC SoHo, because both are recycled old areas that offer design/furniture/clothing related products, in a very trendy fashion. I dont like that name, I find it kind off ridiculous.

Palermo Hollywood it's called like that because there are lots of filming houses, i dont know if that makes sense in english (here we calle em "productoras"), there's a big TV channel and there are also houses doing post-production, transfers, etc. So it is a film related area.

Plaza Serrano was it's name like until year 2000 or something. Then they switched it's name to Cortazar, but people kept calling it "plaza serrano".

Im not very sure what plaza is the one just south of serrano but changing it's name doesn't seem a bad idea because "La campaņa del desierto" was a military campaign that toke place around 1870 in which they almost exterminated the native settlers of the patagonia (mapuches, tehuelches and ranqueles), so it was basically genocide (and it was vey brutal the way they did it) The guy that commanded that campaing is Julio Roca, who has many streets to his name and his face is printed in our 100 pesos bills (that should be changed also).
Old 10-19-2007, 05:43 PM

Another funny fact about how Palermo has been changing recently is that "Plaza Serrano" was called that way basically because it was on Serrano street. Then they changed the name of the street to "Borges" (very important argentinian writer) but they called the plaza after another important writer, Julio Cortazar... so things are a little messy.