Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-05-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Re: ebay bidding strategy

Yea I would look into the sniper programs as well, even though I've never used them because nothing I wanted has been in that high of demand.

I always make my bids weird prices. Like if I was willing to pay $20 for something, I might make the bid $20.53 so that people trying to find out my max bid might get discouraged. I have absolutely no idea if it works, but I thought it was sneaky and that was enough for me.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:27 PM

That's not a bad strategy. I have won many an auction by simply guessing what someone else's highest bid was and then bidding a cent or two higher. This only works if the auction is a bit lower than their highest bid. Using the earlier example, if the bidding is at $15.50 and I suspect the guys highest bid is $20, I'll wait until about 15 seconds left and bid $20.03 (in case he did $20.01 or .02)

Because of the way the incremental bidding system works, this only works if the bidding is lower like in this example. If his high bid was $20, and bidding was stopped at $19.56, given the 50 cent increments, I couldn't bid $20.03, obviously.

Last second bidding is the only way to fly on rare items. I'm the proud owner of a custom 22" Signature Paiste ride cymbal because of it, even though I was with a friend in NY at the time and I had to have my friend back home place my bid for me.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:15 PM

I never bid on anything until the last 3 seconds of an auction. I use https://esnipe.com .
Enter the auction number, the max you will pay, and the number of seconds prior to end time to bid.( you must enter your ebay id and password as well)
There is a fee that works out to be $1 per 100(25 cent minimum), $10 maximum of end price but they offer a 14 day free trial
Old 10-06-2007, 03:29 PM

A Northwestern economics professor wrote an article regarding this issue. Somewhat interesting, imo, but I'm a microecon geek. Here
Old 10-06-2007, 06:22 PM

www.esnipe.com
Old 10-07-2007, 04:53 PM

While I recognize the value of a sniping site, Im not to crazy about passing out my eBay ID and password.

There are a bunch of sniping programs out there.
http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0....e&tag=srch

Just have to be sure your internet connection is good and you leave the PC on for the snipe.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:21 PM

its not hard to snipe it yourself. you have one tab with the time, the other you just hit "confirm" or whatnot. dont bother bidding unless its a snipe <15 seconds
Old 10-08-2007, 01:46 AM

True. I manually snipe all the time but if there is an auction you cant be at the pc for at the close, a snipe program saves the day.