Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 06:22 PM

Default Re: When to call min-raises from the blinds?

I fold all trash hands.

If I decide to play in this situation I usually reraise - shortstacked I push obv.

Playing any hand oop against multiple opponents is horrible - even with a good hand, so I try to take it down preflop - you need a somehow tight image therefor.

I do this also with SC or medium PP.

With small PP I might call and look for a set.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:19 PM

Default Re: When to call min-raises from the blinds?

Here's a similar situation (again calling out of the big blind), with a hand history.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver Cards)

saw flop

CO (t4030)
Button (t1180)
SB (t4429)
Hero (t4860)
UTG (t755)
MP1 (t3103)
MP2 (t3510)

Preflop: Hero is BB with , .
UTG raises to t755, 5 folds, Hero ??.

This is similar, though not a min-raise, it's still pretty small. I would be calling 555 into a 1055 pot, getting not quite 2:1 on my money. What sort of range can I assign to an UTG all-in with M~3, and does that range make calling correct?

Compared to the more general situation of calling minraises from the BB, this hand has no possibility of getting bluffed out of a pot or playing out of position. It's all over but running the cards and/or pushing the pot to the winner once I call or fold.

Not results, but my thoughts on those questions below in white (which should indicate what I did, but I don't know whether it was correct).

<font color="white"> I figured that with such a small stack, villain had a pretty wide range here. Certainly any A, any pair, probably any K, Q7o+, J9o+, any suited connector. Anything that figures to be better than maybe 50% of random hands, since he'd be pot commited with a random hand in the BB if he folds here. Given that, I figured J8o, while pretty trashy, isn't hopeless, and is probably at least 30% against his range. Additionally, a call and loss would still leave me t4000, which isn't great, but isn't horrible either, so I didn't think I could pass up what I expected to be a +EV chance to earn chips. I didn't have a read on villain to tell me to do anything else. </font>