Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 07:30 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?
Default I think I played this one right, it just didn\'t work

Absolute Poker
Limit Omaha Ring game
Limit: $2/$4
8 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (8 players) steamboatin is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO folds, steamboatin calls, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, steamboatin calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (11SB, 5 players)
SB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#cc0000">steamboatin bets</font>, SB calls, UTG folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (7.5BB, 4 players)
SB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#cc0000">steamboatin bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">steamboatin calls all-in $3</font>.

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (13.25BB, 2 players + 1 all-in - Main pot: 12.75BB, Sidepot 1: 0.5BB)
SB checks, MP1 checks.

Results:
Final pot: 13.25BB

Is betting the right way to go?
Old 04-12-2007, 08:40 PM

Default Re: I think I played this one right, it just didn\'t work

There can be no fault in your play of this hand whatsoever. With nut low and a draw to the nut flush at least one bet MUST go in on every street (especially multiway and on a board with draws).
Old 04-12-2007, 09:41 PM

Steamboatin - Couple of things.

1. I believe it's a mistake to play in a limit game when you're under-funded, so that if you make your draw you won't be able to bet and collect.

That doesn't affect the way you played the hand, but it affects getting dealt cards in the first place.

2. I'd go ahead and re-raise after SB raises on the first betting round. I wouldn't do that as much for this hand as to try to gain some control over SB for future hands. A re-raise here might give SB pause next time he decides to raise to jack up the pot. You simply cannot allow SB to be unchallenged as the one who decides when the amount in the pot on the first betting round should be doubled. That's giving up too much of an edge.

[ QUOTE ]
Is betting the right way to go

[/ QUOTE ]Do you mean on the flop and turn? If so, yes.

Buzz
Old 04-13-2007, 10:24 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

I know that I was short stacked and that is a mistake. I bought in for $40 and hadn't won a single hand so I probably was on tilt. I was going to reload anyway so it was dumb not to go ahead and get the chips.

Here are my PT stats since I started back playing $2-4 O/8. The two hands at $.50, my computer froze so i rebooted but didn't rejoin that table.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:26 PM

You cannot &amp; will not be a winning 2/4 player at AP unless your Went To SD% is at least 6-7 points higher, but of course you need to make appropriate decisions on what hands to take farther.

In addition, your lack of aggressiveness overall is just too easy to repeatedly take advantage of.

The best general advice that I can give you is that especially against vall of the wackos popping up on AP every day, you need to play the players and the cards.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:15 PM

It's not clear to me if the aggressive
factors are percentages or fractions.

For example, the overall aggressive
factor is given as 0.70. Does that mean
that Boatin raised or bet overall less
than one per cent of the time or seventy
per cent of the time?

Giving up your big blind to steals 100%
of the time would seem to invite
opponents to be more aggressive against
you, not only when you post the big
blind, but other times as well. I'm not
sure what to do about it once you get in
the pickle. The trick is to avoid
getting there. Maybe you have to change
your name and start over once you get
there.

Also less than a thousand hands is not
a very large sample size.

Buzz
Old 04-13-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not clear to me if the aggressive
factors are percentages or fractions.

For example, the overall aggressive
factor is given as 0.70. Does that mean
that Boatin raised or bet overall less
than one per cent of the time or seventy
per cent of the time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Aggression factor = (Bet % + Raise %) / Call %

The "rule of thumb" for Aggression Factor is that AF &lt; 0.70 is passive, while AF &gt; 1.5 is aggressive.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:50 PM

Your stats seem way too tight passive. I play more hands and am above 1 in aggression on almost every street with aggression increasing with street. Preflop I am a bit more passive since I really think that preflop raising increases variance much more than it helps your winrate. Still, I raise significantly more than 1% of hands. I realize that your sample size is fairly small, but these particular numbers are fairly constant for me over stretches of about 1000 hands. My stats are inline with most other winning players in my database. Also, I usually play 6 max and under so maybe that is why aggression is so much higher, but I think you are playing way too scared.

This next bit could easily just be because of a bad run of cards and small sample, but my won $ WSF is higher than yours, my Went to SD % is higher than yours, and my Won $ At SD is lower than yours.

I think this is because you are not affectively using the semibluff. IMHO the semibluff is king in O/8. In holdem, many people are going to semibluff 4 to 1 dogs figuring the chances of them folding plus drawing out make up the difference. In O/8, you can have similar situations where you are getting probably half your money back in the worst case and you may have some scoop outs. Raising here needs to work much less often than in holdem to be profitable, and yet you see many tight passives that will hardly ever raise without nut nut or nut really strong. I suspect failing to find some of these key raises will make a huge difference in winrate.

As for the hand, nut low + flush draw in a multiway pot? I am raising every time the action gets to me on the flop and I wouldn't mind putting in a raise on the turn.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:03 PM

Cooker you play 6 max but don't raise much preflop? I am probably the exact opposite. I am usually 30/20 pre and do well with them. I hardy ever open limp. Are you able to make up the lost bets post flop?
Old 04-14-2007, 12:31 PM

I have been very passive preflop. For some reason, I just can't get this game figured out so I have been mostly just calling, watching and thiking. I really appreciate all of your feedback and I ready to take your advice and make the changes to my game.

I am taking my went to showdown to around 50%.

I am thinking about tightening up just a little and raising every hand I play. Is that a strategy that makes sense?