Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 12:23 PM

Default simple hand vs good player

So lately I have been playing with a few good players and had situations where we basically both play perfectly against each other. I am wondering how to maximize the value in spots like this. Sorry if this turns out to be basic.

Online midlimit 6m game. Villian raises MP, I 3 bet AA from the SB, villian caps.

Flop K74r.

Is there any better way to play this than to just CR the flop and go from there?
Old 10-06-2007, 12:36 PM

Default Re: simple hand vs good player

I think c raising flop is your best play. Too bad the flop is monotone but I think you have to jam it here and hope for action. Pot is reasonably big preflop so it's not like your getting no value here.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:36 AM

I dont know about CR here, I mean the only action you are going to get is from AK and KK, and he will go striaght into call down mode with QQ, JJ, TT.

his range is pretty small here, if he is solid and doesnt get out of line preflop

Sometimes i check call flop and try to bet/3bet the turn.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know about CR here, I mean the only action you are going to get is from AK and KK, and he will go striaght into call down mode with QQ, JJ, TT.

his range is pretty small here, if he is solid and doesnt get out of line preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

If he goes into calldown mode with any pair then check raising flop and betting atw is the best line. How are you going to bet to 3 bet bet turn if he has these hands? I think you need try and use the pot size to get him to make a bad calldown.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:22 PM

surfdoc,

are you assuming:

1. If you cr flop, he'll cd with JJ or better?
2. If you cc flop, he'll bf (or possibly check) JJ/QQ on turn?
Old 10-07-2007, 05:26 PM

If you expect him to fold 99-QQ to turn c/r then I'd c/c c/c c/r river. I'd just c/c then c/r turn if a flush draw becomes possible.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he goes into calldown mode with any pair then check raising flop and betting atw is the best line. How are you going to bet to 3 bet bet turn if he has these hands? I think you need try and use the pot size to get him to make a bad calldown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with Dangerfish.

Isn't it funny that there is zero chance anyone is ever folding TT+ here? I'm not saying its not correct to call down there I'm just saying I remember playing 5/10 6m like 2-3 years ago and it would have been laughable bad to continue past the flop vs a "standard TAG" then. Everyone's a maniac now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-DeathDonkey
Old 10-08-2007, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
surfdoc,

are you assuming:

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't know. What would all you guys do if a TAG 3 bet from the blinds and then CRd a Kxx flop. Are you taking 99-QQ to showdown? This guy folded to my flop bet and didn't even peel. I don't think he caps me too light since he has a stat read for sure of me being tightish. So, I have to wonder if he just mucked one of these hands.

That is the reason for this thread. I think that when playing with 2p2ers there is a need to mix up lines. The TAG flop CR on this board is "okay buddy lets play a big pot." It is just too retarded to start CRing this flop with 88 just to mix up our play and get calldowns with our monsters when we have been capped preflop. We are just crushed by an avg TAGs capping range.

I think at this point there are too many of us playing the same. A mix of c/c, c/c, c/r and c/c, c/c, donk, and c/c, donk are intuitively more profitable since so many TAGs will at least fire the second barrel and even if the turn gets checked through we will very often get paid on the river.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:51 AM

If you c/c flop and turn somehow checks through then I'm assuming you mean c/r river because betting would be horrible.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
surfdoc,

are you assuming:

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't know. What would all you guys do if a TAG 3 bet from the blinds and then CRd a Kxx flop. Are you taking 99-QQ to showdown?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on opponent, but I often am. As a default, yes. But it helps to know in these cases if my opp is a 3 bareller or not. If his bluffs almost always end after the turn is called, I will often find river fold.

Also -- and I think this is important -- many opponents will ONLY do this with a K or better. That is, their c/r gas line is not balanced (or not balanced nearly enough, in an optimal sense) with bluffs. In today's games, I think this lack of balance is an asset, not a mistake, because so many people DO c/r gas bluff that most opponents will just assume (as a default, and possibly forever) that you do as well.

In this hand, however, I think the most likely scenario is that villain, knowing you 3b light, decided to cap light to make the hand easier to play. There are all sorts of non-pair hands that he could have folded to your c/r.