Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 11-30-2007, 09:08 PM

Default Help me be good at the piano \\o/

I have scoured the Interwebs and have returned empty handed. What I seek is some good working tools to improve my piano play. As it is now, I am not certain I can afford to pay for a teacher... And I am not sure it is worth it, for the high cost that comes with it.

So, what I am looking for is some sound advice, at to how I best can improve my piano skills, in combination with continuous practice.

This place seems to be a good place to ask. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2007, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Help me be good at the piano \\o/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGggX3RfzlI

Do a search anywhere for piano lessons vids.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:20 PM

It does?

I've seen some combo keyboards/teaching software that got very well reviewed before, but haven't seen them in some years. They may be still around. You keep time with the program, get drills the program monitors, it teaches you different ways of reading music, whatever.

I bet the guys who know about this kind of thing would be helped if you told them what level skill you're at now and maybe if you're interested in any particular style of play.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:08 PM

first, you have to determine what you want to be able to play on piano. Beethoven? Bach? Oscar Peterson? Elton John?

Once you figure that out, head to your local college or university and go to the music department, ask people for recommendations for piano teachers based on what you want to play. I strongly suggest taking lessons, your development will go SO MUCH further in much less time, no sense in reinventing the wheel. If you really cannot afford a pro there is probably a college kid who is willing to teach you for less.

you will not learn how to play from the internet, books, or dvds.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:38 PM

+1 for getting a teacher. You may be able to find someone who will give you lessons on an irregular basis however i'd almost think when you're first starting out it would be better to see someone weekly.

I have a piano teacher who is freakin' amazing and I just call him up every 2 to 4 weeks and schedule a 1 hour lesson.

Incidentally, does anyone have a recommendation for an electric piano that is around the $600 mark? I can't afford anything better right now but the 100 year old upright grand just ain't what she used to be. I am mainly concerned with correct feel in the hammer action and also a decent sound. I don't care about any kind of synthesizer features or other instruments besides the grand (and maybe harpsichord). Oh yeah also must be 88 keys obviously
Old 11-30-2007, 11:43 PM

Practice,practice,practice. Sorry, but it's the truth.
Now the big one... Practice improvising... Nobody is going to teach you how to improvise, you will just have to do it by yourself. Mozart said when hearing a 12 year old Beethoven improvising "Mark my words, the world will someday hear from this young man", or something like that. Did I mention practice?
Old 12-01-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Practice,practice,practice. Sorry, but it's the truth.
Now the big one... Practice improvising... Nobody is going to teach you how to improvise, you will just have to do it by yourself. Mozart said when hearing a 12 year old Beethoven improvising "Mark my words, the world will someday hear from this young man", or something like that. Did I mention practice?

[/ QUOTE ]

I learned improvising by myself, but that was decades ago when there really was little to no teaching available. Now, there actually are many teachers with helpful ideas about how to learn to improvise (not to mention some other resources).

But with regard to OP's question, I don't think it's sensible for a complete beginner to try to learn piano without any lessons at all, regardless of what you ultimately want to play.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
first, you have to determine what you want to be able to play on piano. Beethoven? Bach? Oscar Peterson? Elton John?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like to play the blues. I would estimate my level to be novice, slightly above beginner. I have not yet mastered doing anything with my left hand other than using one finger as accompaniments to my right hand with which I can play improvisational blues on a pretty decent level.