Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf

Old 11-17-2007, 10:03 PM

Default Re: How long does it take to be decent?

[ QUOTE ]
It is just impossible to set the time for.
It depends on talent and dertermination

[/ QUOTE ]

That pretty much sums things up here. And there is a big diference in shooting numbers under pressure than just winging it with the guys.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:44 PM

How much time you got?
Old 11-18-2007, 02:04 AM

I think your age also matters. Younger you are is easier.

Highly recommend lessons. Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.

My dad hits 8x as many balls as I do, yet will never be able to beat me. He just grooves a mediocre swing.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:50 AM

I first started taking lessons 8 years ago at age 36 and at that time I was a 20 Hdcp. I had been that for life. I live in Minnesota so I started in the winter in a dome. In 3 months of lessons (took 8) and hit a lot of balls (about 9,200). That got me down to 10-11. If you want to get to 10-12 you can get there working on your swing. I am not saying don't practice chipping and putting but if you hit it in play and hit the smart shot you should get there. I learned my swing and how it worked before I ever practiced chipping or puting (for more than 5 minutes at a time). I started the short game practice when I got to 6-8 range.

Dave
Old 11-18-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I first started taking lessons 8 years ago at age 36 and at that time I was a 20 Hdcp. I had been that for life. I live in Minnesota so I started in the winter in a dome. In 3 months of lessons (took 8) and hit a lot of balls (about 9,200). That got me down to 10-11. If you want to get to 10-12 you can get there working on your swing. I am not saying don't practice chipping and putting but if you hit it in play and hit the smart shot you should get there. I learned my swing and how it worked before I ever practiced chipping or puting (for more than 5 minutes at a time). I started the short game practice when I got to 6-8 range.

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

This is encouraging! Thanks for the story.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course I gamble! Yeah, I agree with you about the short game. My instuctor said that 75% of your score is 100 yards or less.

Now that I am hitting my longer shots somewhat well, I think I should focus way more of my time and energy into the short game.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I would work on. Some friends and I just started up during the summer. We all are pretty bad, even 1 friend who has played for a few years off and on.

I did nothing but work on my short game (chips, pitch, and puts) for 2 weeks before one of our rounds. It didn't matter how I hit any shot over 80 yards, because I got back and gained so many strokes on/around the green. Now I feel if I never 3 put I can beat them on any given day. Put for 50% of all your practice, IMO.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can shoot about a 97 if I don't cheat and keep score accurately.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha i love that statement.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:47 AM

Make sure you have a good instructor...find out who the good players, top amateurs, college players, other club pros, etc in your area work with. It can make a huge difference.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:25 PM

Another idea besides working on your short game and playing for cash is to play different course as much as possible. This will help your mental side of the game by not replicating the same shot over and over at your home course. Each hole will require more thought and effort.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another idea besides working on your short game and playing for cash is to play different course as much as possible. This will help your mental side of the game by not replicating the same shot over and over at your home course. Each hole will require more thought and effort.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point/good tip, but obv need the players will to actually think about the hole/shot risk-reward in the course management, cause there are still many players who will just tee up, and let the big dog bark despite it sometimes being the worst solution.

I think this gives most, to those who have managed to obtain a somehow solid game, and a medium handicap (hdc<30), or again, a person with determination, who is able to take his game serious.