Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 07:47 PM

Default $16 ATs as shorty on bubble

This one had me thinking.
Both villains unknown. Button had pretty TAG stats, sb more LAG.

Maybe it's a really simple, just unusual spot.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (4 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG (t5260)
Button (t1345)
SB (t5950)
Hero (t945)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t450</font>, SB calls t375, Hero ??
Old 11-03-2007, 07:55 PM

Default Re: $16 ATs as shorty on bubble

wow this sucks... you would think btn shoves if he's good with all of his range here instead of making a 3x raise. I muck and hope sb knocks him out. Shoving isn't great bc btn has to call and if SB does, you have to beat both of them... Chances of that happening w/ ATs is probably a little slim. I reluctantly fold and try to shove next 2 hands...
Old 11-03-2007, 08:07 PM

Yeah, as vers said - SB has a chance of knocking button out and you're still not dead in the water here for a $16 with only the BB being 150, sure not great, but it's not like it's 200/400 and you're out in the next orbit. So fold here, pray button gets knocked out by SB or just push/fold and take the blinds and pray you get AKs next time where you can't fold.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:49 PM

I'd fold given you still have some play, and you want that guy knocked out without risking it yourself. I could be completely wrong.

If it went shove call would you consider calling here? How is this situation different/how much more does it benefit you? I dunno.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:39 AM

I shove here. BTN is probably stealing. A BB with your stack is more likely to call a shove than a raise, and most players won't shove over without a hand, particularly since you can't expect to have FE against him. SB can have pretty much anything.

I don't think you can shove the next hand without a hand, because UTG will call with a wide range. The hand afterwards, if button has given up on the flop, he'll be equally as short as you, and again, will probably call with a lot of hands. Hoping that he gets knocked out by SB is okay, but if the opposite happens and he doubles, well, you've passed on a decent opportunity and you're way behind all three.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:31 AM

I quickly fold here, theres a solid chance AT is not ahead with two other players in already, and if you shove they are both likely to call putting you in a terrible spot since you have to beat both of them to not bubble. Its fairly likely the other short stack will get all in here with 1/3 of his stack invested preflop and you aren't completely finished if you have to continue on the bubble after this hand.

Is there any read on the other short stacks play? Would he normally shove if he was just trying to steal the blinds? I'm thinking if anything its another indication you should fold.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:22 PM

Right, doesn't look like there will be much more said here.

I took some time with the decision, and then opted to fold.
I thought it was a good decision then, and I'm even more convinced now.

Also, btn was veeery far from competent, as it turned out.
I believe flop was JT7, sb openpushes KQ and button instacalls with A7. KQ wins.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:05 PM

It seems like the fact that the initial raiser could be knocked out on this hand makes this a fold.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:51 PM

Say button would've had marginally less chips than us, would everyone still fold?
Old 11-04-2007, 05:44 PM

Kevin's brilliant post completely nailed it...I think the other guy's pretty likely to call just to try to knock you out with two horses and the other guy has to call for pot odds.