Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 06:37 AM

Default Poker Strategy when your Aggressive

I would describe myself as tight aggressive, and 9 times out of 10 I will only enter a pot if I am raising. Yesterday my strategy ended up costing me more than I think it should I play $0.5 - $1 6 handed No limit Cash.

I had been raising quite regularly and not really had many showdowns but I genuinely had some decent cards.

Hand 1 - I found myself on the button with KQ off suit. It was folded round to me so I raised my usual 3 ½ times the big blind. SB folded and the BB re-raised me so it was another $8 to call. So I folded.

Hand 2 about 5 minutes and 3 -4 rounds later I had raised a couple more pots with genuine hands and then found myself on the button with 77 it was folded round to me and I raised the same amount again. The SB folded and the BB raised the exact same amount again, this time I called for set mining value. But missed and folded to the flop continuation bet

Now my read on The BB was that he was quite solid.

Do people think it’s a good idea when they have been raising quite a lot even if they have had genuine hands to sometimes just call to try and contain the pot with marginal hands like pocket pairs and KQ, AJ etc if they are on the button and its folded round to them??? If one of the blinds has been playing back aggressively.

Or do sometimes people fold such hands like these when they have been aggressive to combat the situation???
Old 11-28-2007, 06:46 AM

Default Re: Poker Strategy when your Aggressive

Hand 1 is standard.. you don't wanna get in marginal spots when you flop a pair and still don't really like your hand.

Hand 2 is pretty okay too, but you should be floating or shoving on low-ish flops (ex. T82, J96) since we don't have direct odds to set-mine.

Don't give up raising in LP when you get 3-bet a couple of times.. because when you do, you become predictable. I'd say it'd be more of a reason to raise, if he 3-bets you quite a few times, you can call with some kind of disguised hand (98s or something like that) and shove when you flop a pair or a draw (gutshot or better). It will seem spewy and it will increase your swings, but it's something I think you need to do to counter-act the light 3-betting that comes along with you raising a bit more in LP.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:19 AM

Default Re: Poker Strategy when your Aggressive

Hand 1 is standard. Hand 2 you should fold preflop when he re-raises 100bb deep unless you're planning to make a move on some flops (you're expecting you're getting 3-bet light).

I don't think starting openlimping hands like AJ/KQ/77 is a good idea. They're worth a raise, to gain initiative and give you the possibility to just pick up the blinds. If you think you're getting 3-bet light then call and try to outplay villain on some flops or just 4-bet preflop instead.

If you suspect you're getting 3-bet by an appropriate frequency given your wide steal range you need to tighten up. There's no way to protect yourself vs a good re-stealing frequency than just folding vs a well playing opponent. Hands such as AJ/KQ/77 is of course always worth a raise in LP.