Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Straddle?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
An interesting thing that I came across while searching this on the web is about reaching the limit of straddles. Something like: the player UTG can straddle the blind making it 2bets; the next player to act can make it 3bets, etc, until the limit is reached.

I guess it may truly be room dependent, because the next question surely should be: what's the limit? How much will it be to see a flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have only played in two situations where the games was straddled to the capacity. Taj in AC but the straddles were really blind raises, so you could keep going until the cows came home; and Wynn - where the live straddle is 4 ways plus one raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played (this year) with a live straddle at the Taj [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I've played (this year) with a live straddle at the Taj [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's permitted 1 weekend each year during At Large, right?
Old 05-04-2007, 02:31 PM

Kewl, thanks all for the info [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Finally was able to talk with the Poker Room Manager last night, and he agreed with the majority here that it allows an extra bet (eg our cap is normally 4bets/$16, but with a straddle, regardless if someone else makes it 3bets-blind pre or not, the max is now 5bets/$20).
The floor at the time was wrong trying to say it was a blind raise and cap was still 4bets, and one of the dealers were agreeing, so we got that cleared up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thats the way straddles are played everywhere they are allowed, CAZ is not different.

[/ QUOTE ]

we don't raise the cap in WA. mainly because it's illegal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was prepared to disagree with you, but it turns out that you are right (WAC 230-40-120, paragraph 3: An ante, except for panguingue (pan), shall not be more than the maximum wager allowed for the first betting round for any game. The ante may, by house rule, be made by one or more players, but the total ante may not exceed the maximum wager allowed for the first betting round. An ante, by house rule, may be used as part of a player's wager

(Even though it's really called a "blind," legally blinds are treated as antes.)

I did know of a house in Everett that treated the live straddle as a blind, but it would appear that they are doing so in violation of this WAC rule.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:54 PM

It is an interesting rule in Washington. The quoted statue seems to hold for a requires bet or ante. I have often thought that a house could allow last action to a volentary bet if they wanted and not be in violation of the rule for max antes. They colud not, however, allow an extra bet as it would violate the max raise rule. Most cardrooms have no interest in pushing the rules because the Wa State gambling comm has shown no understanding of poker and has made some terrible enforcement decisions against some cardrooms.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's permitted 1 weekend each year during At Large, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

not so much permitted as the floor put us in a corner and cut us a wide berth. Was fun...especially when I had straddled not realizing it was live once [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]