Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2007, 06:36 AM

Default Re: Cats, Dogs, & Other Pets

My dog and GF's dogs. One of the Border Collies is missing from the pic, and I couldn't get her four cats into it either. I did own a cat one time that would walk with me to the corner store and come when I called. It was better trained than my dog, I think.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:22 AM

and here's an update pic for anyone who remembers my thread about plasma tv mounting

Old 04-28-2007, 04:53 PM

lipps, I tried doing this for some stray-kittens that arrived in the neighborhood.

I occasionally fed a couple of the neighborhood strays. And then there were a ton of kittens. Yiikes.

I was able to grab 3 of them and get them inside and try to care for them for a few days.

OMG what a hassle. And I was home everyday too.

And you ain't kidding about them being stinky.

I finally found someone to take them in though and I'm pretty happy they are in happy homes and are a living a much better life than they would be on the street.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:02 PM

My late cat is in my avatar.

I had to put her down in November.

It was a bit of a struggle for me since Sept when I found out she had cancer and there was pretty much no chance. I was able to keep her around and happy a bit longer than was expected but it was incredibly tough and emotional for me.

My cat really rocked and the end sucked but the companionship for 3 yrs or so since taking her in was definitely worth it.
She was definitely that awesome.

I feel kind of weird but i'm a bit sad again right now just thinking about it. This was awhile ago. Weird.

No more cats for me unfortunately.
I would totally get another one. But the GF has some allergies and we are moving in together soon.
We'll see though. She did okay with my former cat.

My sister is a veternarian and has her own house-call based service now (you pay her more than a normal vet to avoid having to bring the pet in to some cold vet's office).

Of course, people tend to only need a vet when their pet is in trouble.
And as a house-call vet part of her approach is to be more personal with her clients.

She's had some weeks where she has to put down 2 or 3 different pets and the families/kids are all really sad and I think it causes her a ton of stress.

Sometimes you can block a lot of that stuff out with experience. But then there are the tougher ones.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:06 PM

Regarding 2 cats or 1.

I honestly think this depends on the cat's personality.

Some cats love the company.

Other cats really change and get all freaked and territorial and it just causes them more stress.
It's not the end of the world for them. But I can sense that they just aren't as happy and some will NEVER get used to it.

Cats sleep a lot anyway.
Assuming you aren't away for ridiculouosly long stretches and perhaps can be content just looking out the window at birds or trees or whatever that they might be okay.

And now I'm going to spam one of my sister's products. I don't even know if she is making any profit from this thing anymore now that Target and PetSmart picked it up so it might not even be spam.
Personally, I don't think it's very good (so-so production quality and sound) and my cat wasn't interested in the least.
But other cats respond extremely favorably.
It's a continuous loop DVD showing birds, squirrels, fish, etc.
Some cats really really love it.
And the owners feel better when they leave their home when they are able to put something on the TV that their cat actually will like.

link
Old 04-29-2007, 09:59 AM

Meanest Yorkie ever:

Killer 2 lb. Chihuahua:

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2007, 11:02 AM

When I was in Aspen over spreing break I saw a lady walking a dog about the size of a lab, that was jet black but it had ice blue eyes of a husky. It was the coolest dog I'd ever seen.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:22 AM

To be fair, have to get in a pic with Indy (the nephew of Ms. Killer 2lb Chihuahua). You can tell he gets the short end of the stick: I searched and searched, and he doesn't have one pic alone, he's only taken with the others:

And, if you can believe it, that little Truvy 2lb'er will kick Indy the 6lb'er out of that bean bag at the slightest provocation.

If you're like me and like a dog that wouldn't be considered a chew toy to other dogs, Siberian Huskeys are awesome:

Sweet dog, but we've always had people asking if it was a wolf, lol. We even had someone not notice him on the lawn.. Attu raised his head to see who was coming.. Dude got so freaked he started running across the street, and ran straight into a parked car!
Old 04-29-2007, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're like me and like a dog that wouldn't be considered a chew toy to other dogs, Siberian Huskeys are awesome:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah! They are my favorite, I really want to get one, but I've heard they can be very agressive and I don't really want that if I'm going to have a family. Is this true? How bad are they?
Old 04-29-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah! They are my favorite, I really want to get one, but I've heard they can be very agressive and I don't really want that if I'm going to have a family. Is this true? How bad are they?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had two. One was hurt as a puppy and when the little girl would pet it, it caught a negative association with kids; we got rid of it once it bit someone in the family. We learned from there that you just can't get a dog from someone other than a breeder as a puppy (at least not big dogs that can inflict damage). Our 2nd Huskey, we got straight from the breader. Since we owned it as it was growing up and didn't abuse it, it turned out as one of the gentlest dogs ever.

Edit: as an example, we lived near a school. The kids would love to come over and pet the dog. My step-father was always there to watch-over, but the dog was fine with the kids and loved the attention.