Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 04:35 PM

Default withdrawal from quiting poker?

When you play poker, you experience highs and lows. Sometimes you feel like you are on top of the world and other times you are down in the dumps. I was wondering if a regular player who plays every day would experience if he were to abruptly stop playing poker. By withdrawal i mean autonomic hyperstimulation. Would he experience tremors, night sweats, nightmares, loss of appetite, depression, etc.
V
Old 02-28-2007, 06:56 PM

Default Re: withdrawal from quiting poker?

I was away for a few weeks last summer and though I didnt feel quite what youre saying, I dremt about it almost every night. I found myself making up hands in my head as I was walking around, and whether to call or not in certain situations.

All part of the sickness i guess...
Old 02-28-2007, 07:25 PM

Yes, I have on occasion (only in my younger sillier days) tried to quit poker. Poker is pretty much crack. I got very depressed and actually began having anxiety attacks. Now I play poker every day and it's not a problem.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:43 PM

I'm about to embark on this myself. Just can't beat poker anymore. Part through my fault, part b/c I just feel the games are too tough.

Either way, I knew this was never something I'd do for the rest of my life. Only been playing professionally for about 20 months. It's going to be weird to have to be back at work everyday at a set time, for a set amount of time.

I'm hoping the transition back into the working world is somewhat smooth.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:29 PM

No and the fact that you do is not good.

However, I'll admit that when starting out I used to be on an emotional roller coaster. Once you play at the same limits for a while the feeling gets numbed down, and IMO this is when you can really play your A game.

If I were to quit now (which I occasionally do due to school) I would mainly miss the extra money and not the "excitement".
Old 02-28-2007, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I have on occasion (only in my younger sillier days) tried to quit poker. Poker is pretty much crack. I got very depressed and actually began having anxiety attacks. Now I play poker every day and it's not a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

That might be a sign of addiction...

I get serious withdrawls, but for me it isn't about the gambling or anything (I never bet on anything else) it is about the competition. I took up poker cos it was a way for me to channel my competitiveness and love for people (and their money) into a rewarding activity. If you find yourself HAVING to play, you are in trouble. If you WANT to play, you are fine.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:15 PM

let me elaborate. I've been playing poker for about 4 years at an average of about 30 hrs a week. Recently i got married and got really busy at school, so my time to play has been seriously reduced. Alos, my wife hates me being gone all night so i all of a sudden have a curfew which is making me make mistakes at the tables. I am a winning player and have supported myself entirely through poker for years. Recently, i decided to give it up for a while. I find myself thinking about the game all the time. I dream about playing almost every night. I feel like i drank 3 cups of coffee all the time. My legs wont stop shaking. I am angry and snap at people for no reason. Sometimes, i feel like im going to cry. I have no interest in sex. I feel tired. I cant stop eating.
so yea, it kinda feels like crack
V
Old 03-01-2007, 04:52 PM

Listen, playing poker should be used to get something, it is a means to an end, not an end in itself. If you don't care about anything else then it is an addiction. I mean is your girlfriend not attractive, whats the story behind no interest in the bed?

Unfourtunately, I think we all have a problem w/ this game to some extent. However, I use my profits for cool stuff like TVs, cars, investments. I think you should consider WHY you are playing. Turn it into I want this (some goal) and I play poker to get that (whatever goal you set, vacation, car, lifestyle)
Old 03-02-2007, 11:14 AM

I played nonstop from May to Januari, then I went to university. Best decision I've made the past 12 months.

If you make like 2.5-3k /month playing, it ain't worth it in the long run. I'd say it's worth making your living playing poker if you're a true balla and make tons.. ^^
Old 03-02-2007, 02:27 PM

Poker can be highly addictive,but those symptons simply do not exist when not playing poker.Should there be withdrawel symptons of any kind were talking sickness and GA would be recommended.