Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 02:50 AM

Default Anyone else have a problem focusing on days they workout?

For some reason post-workout:
-I steam like it's my job
-I have an overall feeling like my head just isn't clear.
-I'm not seeing all the angles. Simple [censored] that is purely mechanics, that I'm screwing up.
-I call down a LOT more when I'm easily beat

Can anyone explain why this might be happening?

Note: This isn't the first or second time that this happens to me. It is almost as if its so bad that I need to choose between getting/staying in shape vs. poker
Old 03-06-2007, 03:48 AM

Default Re: Anyone else have a problem focusing on days they workout?

When your body is tired, so is your mind.

Allow yourself a significant rest period before playing poker again. Work out in the morning, play poker in the evening if possible.

However, I'm reminded of all the people I hear talking about how great and refreshed they feel after working out. Maybe you're pushing yourself a little too hard, or not keeping yourself hydrated enough. Pound back that Gatorade. Have a Red Bull or two.

I don't know what your diet is like, but give that a look over. Are you getting enough of the things you need to keep you going during/after your workout?

These are all factors that could be contributing to this, so try to look over some things and see if you can make any changes to improve your post workout mindset.

If you can't do anything, then simply avoid playing poker after a workout. No sense in losing money. Find a way to balance the two.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:52 AM

It's the opposite for me. What kind of workouts are you doing? If you push yourself to the point of exhaustion, that can't be good for your game. Are you trying to lose weight?
Old 03-06-2007, 02:07 PM

Now even though you criticized my post without lending much content as to why it was 'crappy' I find this post compelling and I'm not kidding.

I ran into the exact same thing. I started giving up a workout here or there for Poker to 'fit it in'. In the end I was down to working out just once a week on Saturday. Did it help - hell I'm not sure, but I gotta think that if you can balance it -- you are golden -- if you succumb to the trade-off in poker's favor -- you're losing...

B+ on your post bro...
Old 03-06-2007, 02:22 PM

Cut out the 'roids. Rage is never good for the poker.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:00 PM

well generally this could be caused by fatigue. Another reason is your food intake could be poor and affecting how your body feels postworkout.

I compete in bodybuilding shows and feel great to play cards after the gym, if u need help with diet or want to talk bout ur workout just let me kno in a PM or something.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:55 PM

I dont usually post in this section, but I was a huge halo2 player back in the day and there always was talk about how workouts can benefit your game. Working out stimulates neurons in the brain and in short, helps you to think better. Personally, I feel this has some truth to it and I think your bad play has nothing to do with your workout, unless you are getting extremely exhausted. I dont want to sound inconsiderate, but instead of looking for an excuse for your bad play thats WAYY out there, request some hand history and review your play. See what you're doing wrong. It could just be that those times after you worked out you got unlucky and now you have a mental block that working out = bad play. Ignore this bad mindset.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:27 AM

If you're doing heavy strength training, chances are your cortisol/insulin/catecholamines are all out of whack. I've seen some really interesting research on the cognitive effects of serum testosterone on taking part in competitive contests; I'll dig some up and post it in a new thread.

Nutritional support is crucial-- the single most important thing you can do is make sure you're getting a good post-workout recovery meal. Not only will it help your muscles grow, you'll be a lot more clear-headed in the meantime. A good multivitamin wouldn't hurt, either.

Personally, I think random bursts of cardio can be great for steam control. The next time you're feeling tilty, do about 12 minutes of jumping jacks, nonstop...works for me!
Old 03-07-2007, 03:13 AM

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream

[ QUOTE ]
It's the opposite for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-07-2007, 09:17 AM

i never played within 3 hours of getting back from a workout...

i always need soe down time and time to get my post working nutrition in, it took me a long time of losing money after working out to find out what worked best for me though