Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should we both play?
Go for it 8 80.00%
No way 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2007, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Lazy way to pump gas

some of you must not drive or you are just dumber than [censored] to not know, even just empirically, that EVEN when you're holding the handle it will stop pumping when the tank is full.

Incidentally the way it stops pumping is there is a smaller tube at the end of the nozzle that sucks air and when the level of gas gets high enough it ends up sucking gas at a much higher pressure thereby shutting off the nozzle.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I worked at a gas station in Toronto when I was younger(like 10 years ago) and we were told to turn off the pumps of anyone we see doing this since it's apparently illegal here to have auto-holds(use to be legal hence why a lot of the older pumps look like they have them just not working). The only people we let do it were the car jockeys from the 10 or so car dealerships across the street since they would spend the better part of the day pumping gas.

As for the reason the auto-holds aren't legal my best guess is to avoid someone setting it then just leaving the nozzle on the ground or something flooding the area with gas? Or if the pump doesn't turn off automatically when the tank is full to stop it from flooding the area with gas(This happened more often then you'd think but with someone there they obviously stop then go bitch at you for getting gas on the side of their car)

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the gas stations around here have the auto-shut off set to stop at like 10 or 20 cents before the final amount, some do go the whole way though. Then you have to reset it or just pump it manually for the last bit. THe speed of the flow for that final bit varies from place to place as well. I generally try to stick to local places that use the 10cent/fast finish combo. THe 20cent/slow places drive me nuts.

Another reason I think some places might remove the latch stoppers is that some retards will reset it once they're done pumping gas. I'm not even completely sure if the gas will just come gushing out once you hit start but I always check to make sure it's not engaged first just in case.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:12 PM

tytytyty I've always thought of jamming something under the handle to get this effect before and have done some half assed attempts with like gatorade caps or whatever I had on me, but they would always fail miserably. Then every time i leave im like [censored] i just gotta find something that fits in there and keep it on me but inevitably would always just forget about it.

fkn genius, can't wait to try it out and laugh at all those suckers out in the cold heheheh
Old 11-14-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this has been around since gas caps have been around

[/ QUOTE ]

And the correct method is to slide the little gas cap turning handle into the crease in the gass pump handle.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have a great lazy way to pump gas. It's called full service.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad this is unacceptable unless you are a New Jersey resident and/or a woman.

[/ QUOTE ]

I [censored] hate living in Jersey because of this (and many other things too).
Old 11-14-2007, 09:01 PM

In a related development, with the weather cooling off, I was having trouble with a door in the apartment that kept closing when the heater had been running, thus preventing warm air from circulating into the second bathroom which, somehow, doesn't have a register.

I don't have a picture of my specific situation, but this is a rough approximation:

I found that if I wedged something underneath the door, it would actually stop the door from closing! I'm trying to think of a catchy name for it so I can market it...

<font color="white"> Seriously, WTF at this thread?!?!?! </font>
Old 11-14-2007, 09:15 PM

[quote}I think Euro pumps are MUCH faster. I was just on vaca, and I got 8 euro of gas in like literally 15 seconds. granted your petro or kerosene or whatever you use is more expensive, but it was so fast I thought I was being cheated or something

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is because 8 euro of gas is like 0.4788 liters, or about 1/12 of a gallon.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:27 PM

I used to make fun of laws that prohibited automatic pumping or required gas attendants. Then, I drove away from a gas pump with a nozzle still stuck into my car. Fortunately, as I discovered, gas lines feature an auto-breakaway feature for idiots like me.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm pretty sure this trick has been around for decades.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-14-2007, 10:36 PM

Also, ban OP for taking full credit for this when he clearly saw someone else do it.