5 0 0%
6 0 0%
7 0 0%
8 0 0%
9 0 0%
10 3 6.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Re: OT: High Stakes Fantasy Basketball -- Any Interest?

You must've misinterpreted my post then because I tried to say the statistic TO in itself cannot measure efficiency, needs to be taken into consideration with other stats, which by itself it obviously cannot be. And you sort of made my point for me, they have "assist/TO" ratio for a reason, that's not TO's in itself. When you measure how efficient players are you don't look at TO's you look at TO's in relation to their other statistical outputs.

There's a reason, Farmar isn't an impact player, that's why he doesn't get touches. Stats are a measuring device while definitely cannot take into consideration every aspect, you can't measure Bruce Bowen's impact statistically, we'll have to live with that fact and make the best of stats as we can.

My whole point is the stat TO has no meaning by itself it can't measure production or lack thereof. Don't know what you mean with your 48 minute projection thing, it was an example of it's inability to accurately measure someone's TOPG as either a positive or a negative statistic.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:54 PM
 is offline

But we DON'T just consider TOs. We award points for assists and penalize for TOs. So when Nash gets 6TOs, it's offset by the fact that he dished 15 dimes.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:15 PM

I disagree with using it because for example if we only had a league of AST/TO ratio having a team full of Nash's would be the same as having it full of Bowen's. Bowen's would win the TO, Nash Ast even though Bowen is doing nothing offensively, not turning the ball over doesn't matter if you aren't being productive offensively but if you consider both of these stats he's being rewarded for that.

If the league was PG only, this would obviously be a good stat because AST-TO ratio is a good stat for PG's. In my opinion the only thing the stat TO does is provide a stat for role-player types to take advantage of.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:52 PM

I can't believe you're arguing that TOs aren't a reliable measure of efficiency. If you've turned the ball over, it's a net negative for your team, period. Yes, Bowen turns the ball over less than Nash (because he touches it less), but his lower amount of touches will be reflected in the points and assists categories. Someone that turns the ball over less than Nash with the same number of touches is obviously providing more value (in that aspect) and should be rewarded.

Anyways Kramer, I have another league that drafts at 3:00..if you have to change it, could you make it like 3:15 or 3:30 so I could at least get through the first couple of rounds there? That should give the other guy enough time to get to where he needs to be for 5:45.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:33 PM

315 would be ok
Old 10-23-2007, 11:09 PM
 is offline

yeah, I have another draft at 3pm also, that's why I'm not loving having them overlap, but I still want to make sure we keep our league together here.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:31 AM

Kramer, i think we should continue to have everyone vote for their preferences on the topics of contention. maybe we wont come to a consensus, but at least then we get the decisions that satisfy the majority instead of just leaving the settings as they are just for the sake of not changing them. people stating their preferences for roto and having max games is the reason why those were changed. if people want to keep everything as it is, they can vote that way.

as for the topic of turnovers, fabledhero, are you even in the league? i didn't see your name on kramer's list of people who signed up. anyways, i agree with you though that turnovers shouldn't be a category. i'm going to add that with every other category, you can tell if someone is good at that one category. if someone gets 20 points a game or 2 blocks a game, you know they can score or block shots. but someone who gets you low turnovers, you have no idea if they make smart decisions with the ball or barely touch the ball. and you can't say that the less touches will be reflected in the other stats, because that's Fabledhero's whole point, that turnovers in and of themselves don't tell you that much.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:19 AM

Here are my votes for the different issues:

H2H/roto: roto, but don't care too much either way.

Turnovers: keep them. i like efficient players IRL and turnovers are an important aspect of what makes a good nba player.

centers: keep 2. standard in most leagues.

bench spots: i'm fine with anything here, really. maybe a compromise of 4 works better for everyone.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:39 AM

Turnovers suck because most of the other stats reward those that have the ball alot, while turnovers penalize players that have the ball alot. That said, the yahoo default is to have them and every league I've ever played has included them so I wouldn't mind having them.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:38 AM
 is offline

I doubt we can pull it together, but I'd be more than happy to also host a H2H Yahoo league for like $500 or something. Think we can get 10+ people to sign up in time to actually pull it off?