Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2006, 01:49 AM

Default Hard Drives question

Hey, my boot disk hard drive failed last night and I've replaced it and put the OS back on there and replaced all the drivers, etc. Windows XP Pro, if it makes a difference. Anyway, now it feels like my second hard drive, a 250 GB 7200 RPM hard drive, is accessing much slower. For example, previously, when I would double click songs in iTunes, they would start playing almost immediately. Ocassionally now, it takes a bit longer, and even trying to skip ahead makes it stutter sometimes.

Besides being a little anxious about having another hard drive crash (and this one with all my music on it would make me cry), but it's annoying and disruptive. Is this something that will sort itself out as the hard drives get used together more often (this sounds dumb, but not completely outrageous to me since it's possible the OS drive needs to map the data drive) or should I be worried and immediately back everything up?

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:57 AM

Default Re: Hard Drives question

Is this SATA or ATA133?

If it's ATA133, check in your BIOS that DMA is enabled for both disks (sometimes called UDMA).