Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2006, 12:22 PM

Default Interesting Guerilla Marketing Note

This was sent to one of the people that run Penny Arcade, a web comic based on video games and the video game industry.

[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys,

I interviewed for a guerilla marketing business in San Francisco that targeted web forums.

I was told that if I accepted the job, I was to have at LEAST 50 identities on as many forums as I could muster (they wanted 100 eventually), with a goal of 5 posts an hour. The posts had to be well thought out, and the idea was that I was to establish multiple identities with a history on the forums, so that when the timing was right a well written but subtly placed marketing post could be finessed in. And regular visitors would recognize the post as coming from a long time poster.

They had 12 people working there full time, and were hiring 10 more. You do the math. No wait, I'll do it for you: that's 880 posts a day (if minimum was met). However he said the better ones could do around 8 or 10 an hour. And they had different "verticals" so there was the sports guy, and the games guy, the hentai, excuse me I mean anime guy, etc.

But the most critical point was this: develop and integrate the identity. No random "HEY EB GAMES IS AWESOME BUY THIS" stuff.

Kinda spooky.

Didn't take the job. It was a [censored] mill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of weird that one of the regular OOTers might be one of these guys. Let the finger pointing begin.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Interesting Guerilla Marketing Note

I would just like to say in my own defense that all my subliminal buy messages have been restricted to the BBV forum.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:37 PM

That's fascinating. I almost spilled my delicious Coca-Cola on my computer, but fortunately Dell makes such fine products I'm sure it would have survived.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:39 PM

What's for lunch? I think I might go to Chipotle.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's fascinating. I almost spilled my delicious Coca-Cola on my computer, but fortunately Dell makes such fine products I'm sure it would have survived.

[/ QUOTE ]

Say.... now that I think of it... who was it on here first started suggesting that Dell 20" LCD that everyone now owns 2 of?
Old 01-28-2006, 01:02 PM

This is the kind of crazy thing that happens in todays world. Walmart. People just don't use anonymity well, it leads to crazy [censored]. Walmart. These guys are deceptive meanies, and I think Mat Skalansky is one of them.
<font color="white">
BUY FROM WALMART OR YOU HAVE A SMALL PENIS!!!
NEW LAWN MOWERS!!! HALF PRICE ALL MONTH !!!
BUY FROM WALMART OR YOU HAVE A SMALL PENIS!!! </font>
Old 01-28-2006, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dell's products are indeed very fine ok. Sturdy and lightweight, they seem to fit every budget ok.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:55 PM

this is definitely happening on OOT. i realized that after i went to taco bell one day and thought to myself how much their food sucks.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:36 PM

MW: I don't really think this is happening on OOT.

LFS: One nice thing about Dell computers is that they are such good quality that spilling a little on them probably won't hurt them. And if it does, they have some of the best extended warranty plans in the business.

fyodor: I don't know, but they probably recommended those monitors because of the great price/performance and high quality of Dell monitors.

Mr.F: Great summary of why Dell has a product that's the right fit for just about everyone.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

did you know that in addition to being very tasty coca cola can be used to clean pennies. Its not only great on the taste buds, its also helpful in the kitchen.