Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 04:32 AM

Default Re: Ask a College Basketball Coach

1. Comments on Renardo Sidney and his game/issues?
2. Your favorite to win the NC this year?
3. Top head coach at the moment?

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This is one of the many reasons why this rule was instituted. I have a hard time agreeing with rules a lot of the time, but this one was 100% on point.

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously if you're gonna have the 'you can't call the players more than once or twice a week' you need to include text messages in that, but why does that rule even exist? seems kinda silly to me.

[/ QUOTE ]Some recruits would have to disconnect their phone if this rule didn't exist...Some of these kids are getting recruited by 40+ schools.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you ever think college athletes are treated unfairly compared to the rest of the student body? For example, some one going to school on a music scholarship is allowed and even encouraged to get paying music gigs while in school and during the summer. Same could be said about accounting majors, etc.

[/ QUOTE ] Are you asking if athletes should be allowed to have jobs? If that is what you are asking, then I'd say that they don't have time during their respective seasons, and they are allowed to have jobs when they are out of season.

[ QUOTE ]
Also would college sports really be hurt in any way if alumni or any fan were allowed to openly give gifts to specific players?

[/ QUOTE ]Absolutely- you cant allow alumni to pay players. College championships would all go to the schools with the richist alumni.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what do you think about the AAU system? corrupt?

[/ QUOTE ]Some AAU programs are corrupt, yes, but I don't think there is anything that can be done. Summer ball exists to give players a chance to be seen and coaches a chance evaluate during the summer when they have the most time. There will always be people who do what they can to take care of themselves...whether it be aau coaches, parents, or colleges.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Casper -

If your goal is to become a D1 head coach one day, why is it best to be a small time assistant at a small D1 school vs moving your way up as a head coach (say, JuCo->D3->D2->D1 head).

[/ QUOTE ]Once you leave D1 it is hard to go back. Im not sure exactly why that is, but part of it is that you become apart of that group. All your connections become D3 coaches, ADs, etc- and none of them will do the hiring for D1 jobs.

JUCO is different because you are constantly associated with D1 coaches who are recruiting. There is a good chance that I will be in the JUCO ranks within the next couple of years.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what are your responsibilities? recruiting? scouting? reviewing game tapes?

[/ QUOTE ]I don't do much recruiting at all because I teach classes as well so I have to be on campus. I evaluate players we are looking at, scout, work with the post players, help with film exchane, direct/oversee our summer camps, and break down practice tape. This year I am also in charge of putting in a new offense that we will be running.

[ QUOTE ]
How many hours do you work a week? Do you travel a lot of spend most of your time on campus?

[/ QUOTE ]I am on campus for 20 hours/wk teaching classes. During the offseason, I put in an additional 40+ hours a week with basketball. When the season starts, it will be closer to 60-70 hours/wk with basketball.

So, during the offseason I put in about 60 hours/wk. During the season I put in anywhere between 80-110 hours/wk.

I'm also taking 9 hours towards my masters degree.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are some of the bigger schools such pussies about scheduling?

I have season tickets to UNR (Nevada)- each year they struggle to complete their schedule. It seems that few good schools want to come to Reno to play. They signed a home and home with North Carolina this season, but have to go their twice for one home game.

[/ QUOTE ]Well, when it comes to school that are good but not well known, the big school has nothing to gain. If they win, nobody cares, so they might as well have played a team that sucks that would be a guaranteed win.

I'm not sure how difficult/expensive it is to travel to Reno, but travel costs/time comes into play a lot as well.

In general, larger schools don't travel to smaller schools. They want the guaranteed win and the money that comes from hosting a game.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Casper -

If your goal is to become a D1 head coach one day, why is it best to be a small time assistant at a small D1 school vs moving your way up as a head coach (say, JuCo->D3->D2->D1 head).

[/ QUOTE ]

I was curious about that too. If I was going to try to coach, my route would probably be the opposite.(head coach at D3, D2, then D1) If you have sick records it seems like you jump up fast.(at least from my limited knowledge of coaches i knew of)

[/ QUOTE ]It is much much much more common for an assistant coach to get a D1 job than a D2 coach.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how much will Kansas beat you by this year?

[/ QUOTE ]we don't play Kansas this year, but they will be very good. I imagine that if we played them they would beat us by about 40. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2007, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Comments on Renardo Sidney and his game/issues?
2. Your favorite to win the NC this year?
3. Top head coach at the moment?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]1)I cannot comment on recruits, sorry.
2)eh, Im gonna stay away from this as well.
3)My top 5 would probably be- Roy Williams, Billy Donovan, Rick Pitino, Coach K, Billy Gillispie...in that order.