Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 12:06 PM

Default Flop strong hand against aggressive opponent and 1 other

ST Pokerstar Step tournament 7 players left.
Hero - BB ~T1,750 - 54o
Villian - UTG ~T2,000
Other - Cutoff ~T2,300

Villian is very aggressive, plays all (and I mean all) speculative hands from any position. If no one is in he will raise min to 4xBB.

Other - no real read playing solid up to now.

Villian does a very typical min raise to $300 UTG. This could mean ANYTHING from big pair to 75s. Never limps when first in - showed down very speculative cards many times after raising upfront. Impossible to put on hand preflop.

Other player smooth calls in the cutoff. Didn't RR so probably not a big pair. Likely a medium pair or connectors and wanting to see a flop w/ position.

Instead of debating whether I should have called or folded I'll set it up by telling you that I called the additional $150 to end the action - getting 5.5-1 odds. I would have prefered to be heads up with Villian but my logic was we are getting into high blinds, if we don't stand up to Villian he will run over table. Plus I'm confident that if I hit and check to Villian he will C Bet it allowing me to check raise and extract some extra chips. Right or wrong that was why I called.

Flop comes 4 5 9 - 4&5 are clubs.

Overall I viewed this as a good flop for me. Flop bottom two pairs - no paint on the board. I could get action from top pair, over pair or flush draws. Discounted straight draw.

I decided to check with reasonable assurance that Villian would C bet. Villian made it $300 (total pot T1,300) - as expected.

Other player smooth calls again. Pot is now T1,600

Hero - T1,450
Villian - T1,400
Other - T1,700

7 players are left in tournament - finishers 1&2 go to next step, 3-5 retry this step.

What is your move (fold, call or raise) and why?