Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2006, 01:33 PM

Default Re: 50/100 river bluff raise vs Gus Hansen

His lack of flop bet likely had something to do with it never folding a better hand, never getting called by worse, real chance of c/r bluff on this board etc.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:33 PM

What kind of flop did you expect to bet? AAA or AAQ?

That was an auto-bet flop. No bet = say byebye to the pot. Raising the river = say byebye to a good portion of your stack.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:17 PM

This play doesn't have to work too often to make it a successfull play. If someone value bets thin, especially in Omaha, you should be re- raising a lot of rivers as bluffs.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This play doesn't have to work too often to make it a successfull play. If someone value bets thin, especially in Omaha, you should be re- raising a lot of rivers as bluffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

That bit of advice is exactly what the LAG player who value-bets thin is looking for. A good player, which we can assume Gus is, will adjust to being raised on the river multiple times and then make you pay for it by tightening up. Bluff raises on the river, though oftentimes effective, should be used VERY sparingly.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That bit of advice is exactly what the LAG player who value-bets thin is looking for. A good player, which we can assume Gus is, will adjust to being raised on the river multiple times and then make you pay for it by tightening up. Bluff raises on the river, though oftentimes effective, should be used VERY sparingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its probably a good thing if you make Gus adjust by tightening up on the river.

So it looks like you agree with me. Once Gus adjusts his river betting frequency you can make the adjustments by river reraise bluffing less.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:44 PM

Then when you river re-rasie bluff less, the cycle starts all over again. Its not as if a good player makes one adjustment per session then calls it quits afterwards. I think the best way to deal with a player like Gus is to just tighten up with calling/raising hands post-flop so you don't have to make these sorts of decisions on the river.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then when you river re-rasie bluff less, the cycle starts all over again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to game theory.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:30 PM

Wouldn't you agree the higher the frequency somebody bets the river, the higher the frequency you should bluff raise these bets ceteris paribus.

And even if the player was very good at hand reading I don't think this would change much.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the worst way to deal with a player like Gus is to just tighten up with calling/raising hands post-flop so you get run over

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 12-13-2006, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If someone value bets thin, especially in Omaha, you should be re- raising a lot of rivers as bluffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, not sure I completely agree. If he bets thin but won't fold, then bluffing doesn't make much sense for example. Seems like if all your know for sure is "value bets thin" then all you can say for sure is "widen your calling range". i might argue you should in fact bluff a narrower range but valuebet a wider one vs. a thin betting/heavy calling guy like Gus

And my math says his bluffraise needs to work 2 times in 3 to be profitable in this instance which the nit in me would characterize as more than "too often"

-g