Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Table Demeanor

I always check my cards as soon as I get them, then rest my hand on the table, providing a little 'cage' for the cards. If I'm in the hand I ALWAYS check my cards again after the flop. I figure if I always check them even if I know its Ac-Kc I can't give a tell there. When its my action I always try to act within about 5 seconds. This might not be the best idea, but I run math pretty quickly in my head and it prevents me from second guessing myself. I find that if I labor over what I'm going to do I'm usually wrong. If I'm waiting for action I just pick a card on the board, stare at it, and try to tune everything else out. I'm a talkative person, but if I'm in a hand I shut it down completely. I'm just not comfortable enough to chat it up. I'm sure I'd be giving off tells like mad.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:37 AM

I check my cards when the action is on me, so that I can watch everyone else's reaction to their cards.

I'm not much of a talker, and I generally don't say anything (in a hand or out) while playing. I just figure that anything I say would be much easier to use against me. One thing I do have problems with that was mentioned above is that if I am going to fold, I often show this action prior to doing it. I also play fast. I rarely go into the tank. I can do any necessary math in my head pretty quickly, and I like the sense of raw aggression that fast play gives.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I look at my cards immediately and swiftly as soon as they're dealt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. Most people look at their cards when it's their turn, so you don't miss anything. It gives me more time to think about what I'm going to do. Watching everyone else when I already know my own cards is just much more informative. It also speeds up play, and the more hands I get in, the better.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's why I try to act the same way every time. If you keep your head down for so many seconds, they cannot see your eyes, etc., and it is tougher to get a read. I count out the seconds every time, no matter if I am going to fold, raise or call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a real waste of time. Basically what you have to do here is figure out the longest amount of time you'd take to make a decision. Then take that amount of time for every easy muck. That's crazy. Looking immediately when you get your cards, on the other hand, gives you all the time you need to make a pretty quick decision when it's your turn, without giving off anymore "time tells".
Old 09-26-2007, 02:00 PM

When I say the same amount of time, I'm talking about 2 seconds at most. Easy muck or raise, I know what I'm going to do before those two seconds are up, and I do it.

I hate it when people stare at their cards, think, look again, etc. I never do it.

Peeking at my cards quickly (i.e., less than 1 second) doesn't work for me. I don't want to get them wrong and have to look at them again when it is my turn to act, unless I were planning to do this every single time -- no thanks.

Also, I don't want to know my cards until my opponents have acted. As another poster pointed out, I don't like second-guessing myself.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate it when people stare at their cards, think, look again, etc. I never do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe people do it to mess up your game. If they know you hate it that would be an easy way to make you lose your concentration. I know I would do it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2007, 02:36 PM

I think the way you look at your cards depends on the person and his/her style of play, experience, etc. I don't think there's a right or wrong way to do it, it's how it works for you.

I used to try to wait to look, but as bav once posted so eloquently, that means everybody gets to see your first reaction to them. Instead I work on not telegraphing. But also, as I've learned to play the game, it's helped me think on deeper levels and further into the hand. I alter my plan for the entire hand based on how people are acting ahead of me. This process just gets me more used to thinking about more situations, and gives me a chance to double-check that I'm thinking wisely.

But that's just me and what works for me, and it may be that I'll find a different way that works better.