Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 06:22 PM

Default Yankees Trading Activity / Scenario

I know its not quite time yet to make decisions on the viability of postseason chances, but here's an idea if the Yankees happen to blow June much like they did April and May.

Carry out a massive roster firesale by the trade deadline!

The amount of farm-system / prospect value the Yankees current roster is worth is probably more than ALL trade deadline deals in any given year combined. Damon, A-Rod, Matsui, Posada, Rivera, Pettitte, Mussina, Clemens(gasp) or even Abreu - all with good or expiring contracts + massive experience = command 1st class prospects.

As a Yankee fan, I know this is a painful and unpopular scenario, but its completely one-of-a-kind given the amount of talent present, the contarcts, the experience, and the fact that Mussina, Pettitte, Damon, etc are too old to help the Yankees longterm anyway.

Build the new team around Wang, Cano, Hughes + Jeter as a veteran presence. If they get enough Hanley Ramirezes, it could be another dynasty!
Old 06-03-2007, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Yankees Trading Activity / Scenario

Odds of this are probably lower than the odds of the Yanks winning the division. Maybe 1 or 2 moves will happen, but they will not be blowing up the team.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know its not quite time yet to make decisions on the viability of postseason chances, but here's an idea if the Yankees happen to blow June much like they did April and May.

The amount of farm-system / prospect value the Yankees current roster is worth is probably more than ALL trade deadline deals in any given year combined. Damon, A-Rod, Matsui, Posada, Rivera, Pettitte, Mussina, Clemens(gasp) or even Abreu - all with good or expiring contracts + massive experience = command 1st class prospects.

As a Yankee fan, I know this is a painful and unpopular scenario, but its completely one-of-a-kind given the amount of talent present, the contarcts, the experience, and the fact that Mussina, Pettitte, Damon, etc are too old to help the Yankees longterm anyway.

Build the new team around Wang, Cano, Hughes + Jeter as a veteran presence. If they get enough Hanley Ramirezes, it could be another dynasty!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing like a Yankee fan overestimating the trade value of nearly all of its grossly overpaid used up players.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:38 PM

Very few of the players you listed would be worth anything more than one or two LOW level prospects and only if the Yankees picked up their salaries. Also, I am sure the fans in NY are going to be really patient while the team goes .500 for 3 years while they are developing. If I were a Yankees fan I'd be praying they don't trade off the whole farm system they have finally started to get.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing like a Yankee fan overestimating the trade value of nearly all of its grossly overpaid used up players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, because this plan relies on the yankees giving up lots of money, not just the ability of the players to be traded. come trading deadline time, for teams that are in the hunt and have a certain glaring weakness, a "vet" player can be worth a lot, and the ones like posada and petite who are running super hot will be temporarily overvalued.

its a really interesting idea and i like it a lot. unfortunately it would never ever happen, these guys have no trade clauses and their entire career legacy is tied into being a yankee, a lot of them would probably rather retire than have to relocate to a marginal team somewhere else.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:22 PM

People who are saying Yankee veterans have little to marginal value must have not witnessed the last trade deadlines and the ridiculous prices being paid for rental players. Guys like Pettitte, Rivera, Matsui are IDEAL deadline trade candidates b.c. a)they are proven winners with much less chance of being postseason flops than for example Soriano, b)they have expiring contracts, and c)the Yankees would be willing to surrender any amount of money necessary as supplement for receiving top prospects. In other words, these deals would make tons of sense for teams like the Twins who are loaded to the top with prospects.

I also don't think any of them (other than ARod) would strongly consider vetoing the trades b.c. none of them are selfish players to begin with and have a chance to leave their new teams after the season is over. I can't remember the last time a player with an expiring contract vetoed a deadline deal when going to a legit contender - it just doesn't make sense when its only 3-4 months.

I realize there is a close to zero chance Steinbrenner will agree to any of this b.c. he will die / become senile before the next Yankee dynasty anyway. And Cashman is probably smart enough to realize the Yankees longterm futility in the current state, but too pussy to propose anything other than signing a few more 35 yr olds.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I realize there is a close to zero chance Steinbrenner will agree to any of this b.c. he will die / become senile before the next Yankee dynasty anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the key. Obviously lots of teams would love to pick up an Andy Pettitte or Hideki Matsui before making a post-season run, but Steinbrenner will never throw in the towel, even if they're 25-30 games out by the trade deadline.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also don't think any of them (other than ARod) would strongly consider vetoing the trades b.c. none of them are selfish players to begin with and have a chance to leave their new teams after the season is over. I can't remember the last time a player with an expiring contract vetoed a deadline deal when going to a legit contender - it just doesn't make sense when its only 3-4 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the reasoning in the op A LOT but I definitely disagree with this. Guys like posada, matsui, rivera, and petite (who just made a big push to go back to the yankees) are really really unlikely to leave. posada leaving? no way, he is not going to just get traded off the team he has been a crucial part of for a decade. in their eyes, are they going to quit a team they have been on for their whole career and won several championships with because of one rough season?? thats really implausible. Some of the guys would do it and I hope it happens, but some of the player candidates have a nil chance of moving.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the reasoning in the op A LOT but I definitely disagree with this. Guys like posada, matsui, rivera, and petite (who just made a big push to go back to the yankees) are really really unlikely to leave. posada leaving? no way, he is not going to just get traded off the team he has been a crucial part of for a decade. in their eyes, are they going to quit a team they have been on for their whole career and won several championships with because of one rough season?? thats really implausible. Some of the guys would do it and I hope it happens, but some of the player candidates have a nil chance of moving.

[/ QUOTE ]

Imagine Joe Torre going to Posada and saying "Jorge you've given us an amazing 10 years, you're 1 of the top catchers in MLB, but we need to rebuild and you have a chance to win another world series / dramatically raise your value before your last free agency. Given our current state, we can't re-sign you anyway."

I cannot possibly see a guy like Posada saying no, [censored] you Joe, I need to play another 2 months here while we are 30 games out and only then I will leave. That's a Manny / Barry Bonds type move, and doesn't really apply to any current Yankees.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:48 PM

The Yankees don't rebuild. They just sign FA's

They have two young pitchers in Hughes and Clippard that can be added in a year. Andy and Moose will be here one more with Wang.

They'll ditch Giambi(maybe to angels) and Bobby Abreu will walk. I think they'll keep Posada and let Arod walk.

So they'll spend plenty of $$$$ on a 3rd baseman, RF, maybe CF, 1st baseman and bullpen help.