Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 11:59 PM

Default Simple Theory Question -- facing a 3bet NLCASH

I've been having a lot of trouble thinking about this recently.

Lets assume 75bb stacks i.e. 1500 on 10/20 level. Hero raises to 2.5x or 3x and gets 3bet to 9x i.e. Hero raise to 60, Villain raise to 180.

Villain is solid, and fairly aggressive, but not overly so. So expect him to be 3betting whatever you yourself would be vs. an unknown who raises 70% of hands from button.

How do we play a hand like JJ or TT? If you say 4bet shove, I know, thats easy, but lets say you can't shove. Do you 4bet to a smaller amount, ever? Why / Whats the plan if you do?

Regardless of your answer for above, lets say you call. 18bb in the pot, ~65bb effective. Flop is Axx or Kxx or Qxx. Villain bets 13bb. Call? Raise? Plan for turn? Say it puts out a big draw, and he checks? Can we bet? Can we call a check-raise allin?

This is one of the few spots in HU SNG where I just get really puzzled. It seems like the villain is ALWAYS outplaying me, regardless of whether I win or lose.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:41 AM

Default Re: Simple Theory Question -- facing a 3bet

i wish i could take the easy answer but here goes . . .

if you're looking to have a flop with no A, K , or Q to push i think you should be calling his 3bet with any two. against most opponents' 3bet range, i think you can profitably push those flops with any two.

i don't like a flop push on these stacks with these hands though. villain is much more likely to fire a second bluff than call with a worse hand (or fold a hand that will out you on the turn).

the nice thing about his c-bet of 13bb is that it sets up an odd spot for him on the turn. the turn will be 44bb pot and 52bb behind. makes for a tough turn for him.

call seems fine. turn depends on villain, flop, draws, my image, etc.

fwiw i really don't like a 4bet to a smaller amount. if you 4bet to what 500? just a psb behind makes things awkward as hell on the flop.