Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 09:45 AM

Default smithfraud-c & zlob mediacodec trojans

Thanks to the Ukranians. Anyway, thanks to some poor choices on my part, these pesky bastards have made there way onto my hard drive.
Updated versions of XSoftSE, Spybot S&D, Webroot Spyware & Norton 2006 and Regcure can't seem to permanently delete the culprits.
They replicate like bunnies. I continue to get a bunch of bogus "danger" pop ups and IE start up to websites even though I use Mozilla.
I've changed all of my online passwords from a safe (clean) computer.
I'm willing to buy a flash drive to save a few critical files etc.
Is a reformat the most effective course of action? I've got all the licensed disks etc.
Opinions wanted.

edit I've done all the scans and fix attempts in the "safe" mode too.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:47 AM

Default Re: smithfraud-c & zlob mediacodec trojans

A reformat is the most effective course of action.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:02 AM

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I've read a few fixes on a couple of different computer forms related to spyware etc and well.......frankly the fixes look time consuming, technically tricky and a general pain.
With MS-XP Media edition do I need to worry about setting up partitions when reformatting?
Old 08-29-2007, 10:30 AM

There are smitfraud-specific fixes, but AVG & Spybot have worked well for me to eliminate smitfraud/zlob. Did you run the Spybot updates before using 'Search & Destroy'? AVG may be a help for you, too (free.grisoft.com)

Reformatting and re-partitioning are the same thing. If you do media center, and it asks you to re-partition, and you say yes, you will lose all your data. Yes, you need to set up partitions, but the disks give you options to do so. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:03 AM

I ran the updates prior to us Spybot. Spybot says the fix is done but the frigging pop ups still come back.
I've got the freeware version of Adaware which doesn't find the trojans.
Webroot located a "trojan ace x" ,or something like that, and removed it, only to have it come back. Frustrating stuff.
I guess I'll just bite the bullet and reformat. Fortunately I've got a ipod copy program so I can reload my library without itunes getting all bent out of shape.
The rest of the files I can just rescan and put on a flash drive.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:02 PM

I'd be worried that one of the files you are saving for re-load is infected. I'd hate to see you reformat then be faced with the same problems.

It's been a while since I've done this sort of thing, but if you don't mind, I would like to take a closer look.

I'd like to see a HijackThis log. Are you familiar with the program? If so, post or PM the log to me, and I'll look it over. If not, then post here, and I'll hook you up.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:24 PM

If your up for reformatting, then go for it. Otherwise, we can definitely fix/cure this and ill be willing to walk you through it. But im not going to post some huge long post if your just going to reformat. Let me know if you opt for the fix and ill post back.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:25 AM

Well damn, if it's not one thing it's two. I started the reformat, deleted the old partition, created one new one, max size, all the files seemed to write okay but now the damn thing says it wouldn't reboot from the disk specified (HD).
I tried changing the boot order to the OS disk but all that does is take me through the whole partition process again.
I've done both types of formats, quick and standard and the same thing happens.
Any ideas before I call Dell and talk to somebody in New Delhi?
I'm not at the computer now so it'll be a while before I can try any suggestions. Of course you all knew I wasn't using the old beast to post this, being the smart fellas and all.