Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 12:46 AM

Default Re: So I\'m going to Prison for 2 years

and for those of you saying 0.8 is a stupid arbitrary line - 0.8 is pretty drunk - it definitely affects your ability to drive. there have been many, many studies done on this (none of which i'm going to look up cuz i'm lazy).

if it was at 1.0 you'd be complaining about the same thing when you blow 1.1.

there's a very good reason why the legal limit is much lower in almost every other country. the line has to be set somewhere, and you guys who love to drive drunk are lucky it's as high as it is.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What I'm saying is I want to trust the science behind it and the lawmakers. If less than .08 is legal, then nobody should get in trouble for less than .08.

And I detest people who drive drunk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Confusing the legality with the morality is dumb. If .08 is dangerous enough to be illegal, then obviously .075 is pretty damn dangerous as well, right? Yet you seem to think that people who would do the former are scum, but that if you were to get busted for the latter (because the cop decided that you were actually intoxicated to the point where it posed a threat), you would get upset. Why? Clearly you are scum who has no regard for everybody else, who makes decisions that impact the lives of others.

Your outrage seems to be over relatively arbitrary guidelines that you don't have any particular reason for trusting. That makes sense!
Old 11-26-2007, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and for those of you saying 0.8 is a stupid arbitrary line - 0.8 is pretty drunk - it definitely affects your ability to drive. there have been many, many studies done on this (none of which i'm going to look up cuz i'm lazy).

there's a very good reason why the legal limit is much lower in almost every other country. the line has to be set somewhere, and you guys who love to drive drunk are lucky it's as high as it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

*insert Daliman reference*
Old 11-26-2007, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
10 you are wrong
20 goto 10

This thread is like a very simple BASIC program.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it does have to be set somewhere. And I think .08 is a fine place for it. My objection is with people who seem to think the moral failing of driving with .085 is on a different plane than driving at, say, .07, which seems plainly absurd to me.

EDIT: Also, I think one of the good reasons a lot of other countries have lower thresholds is that they have the population density to support better mass transport than large chunks of the US. On a state level, there's not anyplace in the US that that's likely to be true to set the laws much lower, except in DC, where the legal threshold IS much lower, I believe.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's funny that you said that 0.08 is pretty drunk. Go buy a breathalyzer and tell us how you feel at 0.08. Until then, stop making fabricated statements. I happen to know how I feel at 0.08, and it's not even close to "pretty drunk".

I also think that there should be different legal limits depending on whether you're driving in an urban, suburban or rural area.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's funny that you said that 0.08 is pretty drunk. Go buy a breathalyzer and tell us how you feel at 0.08. Until then, stop making fabricated statements. I happen to know how I feel at 0.08, and it's not even close to "pretty drunk".

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I also think that there should be different legal limits depending on whether you're driving in an urban, suburban or rural area.

[/ QUOTE ]

DIFFERENT PEOPLE ARE AFFECTED DIFFERENTLY BY ALCOHOL. SURPRISE, SURPRISE.

An 80-pound 17-year-old anorexic cheerleader is going to get blitzed a lot faster than some 300-pound, beer-for-breakfast lardass who can't go a night without a six-pack.

I'm in no way against drinking, but .08 is a line set because it has to be set SOMEWHERE. If you don't give law enforcement officials room to go either way, then you have about as bad a system as you could possibly have. How is this so [censored] complicated?
Old 11-26-2007, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DIFFERENT PEOPLE ARE AFFECTED DIFFERENTLY BY ALCOHOL. SURPRISE, SURPRISE.

An 80-pound 17-year-old anorexic cheerleader is going to get blitzed a lot faster than some 300-pound, beer-for-breakfast lardass who can't go a night without a six-pack.

I'm in no way against drinking, but .08 is a line set because it has to be set SOMEWHERE. If you don't give law enforcement officials room to go either way, then you have about as bad a system as you could possibly have. How is this so [censored] complicated?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the 80 pound cheerleader will reach 0.08 much faster than the 300 pound slob. So what's the point?
Old 11-26-2007, 01:04 AM

Edge,

So did you actually read this [censored] thread or are you just coming in here guns-a-blazing with no [censored] clue whether this has been discussed ad nauseum already? Because it has.