Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 12:12 PM

Default Re: (Strategy) The Squeeze Play

QTip

basically:

players to squeeze: decentish lags (30/20ish) and TAGs (20/17ish) and nits (15/9ish)(unless nit is ep raiser), don't try it against donkeys, it won't work

hands: I don't like doing it w/ small pps because I prefer to try to flop sets instead of taking a small pot down pf.

scs/suited As: I'll do it with these sometimes, harder to play oop so if you do get looked up they'll be easier to play in a rr pot because you'll have the money all in by the river (or turn maybe) this makes being oop a less of a disadvantage. Note: don't like doing it w/ QJs (esp) or JTs these hands are dominated by their calling range (dunno if people disagree with that). I will call with these alot rarely re-raise and rarely fold.

trash (J5o) I don't really see the point, it's a cash game not a tournament, can wait for better spots. I suppose if TAG/LAG in co raises and nit/TAG/LAG calls otb then squeezing is ok, still don't think it's necessary though

normally 3b w/ AJ+ 99+ KQs (carefull w/ KQ though, I'll just chuck it out if raiser is in ep, easily dominated) anyway so I'll squeeze with these too.

scenario:

nit raises utg Tag calls, I will only re-raise w/ about JJ+ AQ here (depending on how tight nit is for obvious reasons)

After writing, just saw grunchs post, good post, yeah squeezing is all about FE you're looking to take the pot down w/ marginal hands that could hit big on the flop
Old 05-03-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

trash (J5o) I don't really see the point, it's a cash game not a tournament, can wait for better spots. I suppose if TAG/LAG in co raises and nit/TAG/LAG calls otb then squeezing is ok, still don't think it's necessary though

[/ QUOTE ]

if u have sufficient knowledge of preflop ranges and what to play, playing trash is often a rather rare occurance, especially in this spot.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:16 PM

In that 44 example, your equity against their calling/4-betting ranges is usually awful. Besides, the alternative of calling has these merits:

-It closes the action.
-You have great implied odds.
-You have relative position on the flop. You can check any flop to UTG and when he bets you can see BU's reaction to it. If BU is a loose and bad player this can allow you to pick up dead money when you flop a set.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:17 PM

that's what i said, right? I was advocating not doing it with these hands. Maybe i was unclear. I see people squeeze with trash sometimes, and I don't really see the point, they probably started after watching harrington do it w/ 62o or w/e he had.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
normally 3b w/ AJ+ 99+ KQs (carefull w/ KQ though, I'll just chuck it out if raiser is in ep, easily dominated) anyway so I'll squeeze with these too.

[/ QUOTE ]

The medium one-pair type hands you mentioned (AJ, KQ) are by far my least favorite to squeeze with. My reason is because if you are called, you tend to be a huge dog due to domination or just plain being behind.

AJ & KQ type hands in the blinds in a raised pot in my opinion are some of the most difficult situations in poker.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:18 PM

I'm pretty sure people are re-squeezing a lot these days or shoving light against perceived squeezes. I've also seen this a few times which blows my mind :

CO Opens
Button Calls
I Squeeze from SB
CO folds
Button *SHOVES*

WTF WTF
Old 05-03-2007, 12:18 PM

yeah i agree that AJ/KQ are marginal, probably should have made that more clear.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AJ & KQ type hands in the blinds in a raised pot in my opinion are some of the most difficult situations in poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like another interesting theory thread idea... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-03-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF WTF

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you can find "squeeze-bot" from button's notes under your sn
Old 05-03-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure people are re-squeezing a lot these days or shoving light against perceived squeezes. I've also seen this a few times which blows my mind :

CO Opens
Button Calls
I Squeeze from SB
CO folds
Button *SHOVES*

WTF WTF

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been seeing this a lot too, and I'm not completely sure how to adjust yet. I suspect a lot of times this is a medium pair or suited connectors, but premiums are definitely also there.

Ironically, of all of those hands the one I hope for the most when I have 76s are the premiums. If I call the shove, I'm in the best shape I can be in.