Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2006, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Her parents disapprove, what\'s your play?

Skunk - are your parents pretty intense Koreans? Mine aren't, and even they are starting to voice a preference (in the abstract, I'm not dating anyone seriously right now) for a Korean daughter-in-law... pretty gay but I understand where they're coming from.

DaveR - sounds like you will end up having beautiful children then! I guess I was kind of surprised for myself, that I do have a preference for an Asian-American wife (doesn't have to be Korean, but that's prolly better - also no FOBs), was wondering what other Asian dudes thought about it.

-Al
Old 12-28-2006, 08:11 PM

Al -- my parents are pretty liberal and accepting when it comes to the ethnicities of girls I date. They're much more worried about me falling in love with succubi and she-demons that make me miserable, as is my penchant in the past. Sometimes I think Korean parents want their kids to marry Korean more out of consideration for their own comfort. You know, it'd make family gatherings less awkward, plus for some it can be the language barrier issue. Thankfully my Korean is terrible [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] my listening comprehension is okay though.

Are your parents the fobby type or are they pretty Westernized? Have they had much interest or say in your love life?
Old 12-28-2006, 08:18 PM

Al,

I date only white women. I am Japanese-American.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:23 PM

Skunk - parents are pretty Westernized, have a good mix of white and Korean friends. Also think I broke them in with my first girlfriend in HS, a white blonde chick. But I know, deep down, in places they don't talk about at parties, they want me to marry a Korean chick. Also, as mentioned above, I've found for myself the older I get, a slight bias towards being with Asian chick (all things being equal). And not really for my parents.

-Al
Old 12-28-2006, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Al,

I date only white women. I am Japanese-American.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh - for some reason I thought you were Korean-American.

Japanese don't count you guys are all about assimilating and basically white anyway [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

-Al
Old 12-28-2006, 08:38 PM

kyleb,

You are very exotic looking. Was your dad a GI?
Old 12-28-2006, 08:45 PM

Al, I think the older I get the more I realize that it's just slightly more likely that a Korean chick is going to have a similar value system to my own. Problem is, there's also a good chance that they have some very Korean cultural tendencies that I find very distasteful since I've had to deal with them my entire life (passive aggressive BS, shallow fascination with designer labels, etc.).
Old 12-28-2006, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Japanese don't count you guys are all about assimilating and basically white anyway [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Pssh. We are the master race, thank you very much. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Skunk,

My mother is Japanese, my father is the whitest man I have ever met. He is 100% Irish pureblood, born in Canada. And no, he wasn't a GI - my parents actually grew up on the same street in Cleveland, separated by 10 houses or so.

Out of all the pictures you might have seen of me, I would guess this is the most accurate (though I have put on about 15 pounds of lean mass since this picture):

(I think you can figure out which one is me)
Old 12-29-2006, 01:25 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I knew I could depend on OOT for some good advice and some laughs. We're kinda in denial/wait-and-see mode for now. She hasn't spoken to her parents in a few days. But there's a good chance that both sets of parents may end up at the same New Year's Eve party, which could get interesting. If all else fails, I like dcasper's line.

On the thread hijack, I've dated 1 half-Korean and 1 white woman. I could be happy with a non-Korean but would have to be prepared not to speak to my parents for a few years. When my younger brother dated a Chinese woman they didn't speak to him for 6 months. That was fun.