Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2006, 04:45 PM

Default Need help framing a prop deal

A person I know that runs a card club of dubious legality asked me to be a prop player. Basically, they want me to show up at the card room at 6PM several days during the week to help get the game started.

The deal that they proposed was more of a staking arrangement where all the risk/reward was split half-half. That doesn't make sense to me since, if I were in bad bankroll shape, I'd just move down in stakes instead of playing the regular game at half stakes.

I suggested an hourly rate, but I'm not sure what would be a fair number. Anyone else here prop for a card house? Any suggestions?
Old 12-23-2006, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Need help framing a prop deal

Splitting risk and reward seems to make it pointless for you to play, you risk less to earn less. Maybe if he staked half your buy-in but you kept full winnings? Hourly rate would also seem to work
Old 12-23-2006, 05:01 PM

This really depends on what limits you will be playing. Vegas props get min wage ro a little more. LA props get $20-$25/hr (there are a couple palces taht prop small games and the props get less).
Old 12-23-2006, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This really depends on what limits you will be playing. Vegas props get min wage ro a little more. LA props get $20-$25/hr (there are a couple palces taht prop small games and the props get less).

[/ QUOTE ]

It's mid-stakes games: 2/5, 5/5. and 5/10

The rake is heavier, so compared to a legal card room, this place ought to be making more money per hour/player. It's also a little riskier because of potential heat from the police. I was thinking something like $25/hr is fair.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:41 AM

It should be the minimum equivalent of 100% rb
Old 12-24-2006, 01:10 AM

what is the rake/time charge, what are the limits being spread, how many tables, what is your daily requirement... these are all factors to help determine what is fair compensation. I assume this is for NL games only?

As a frame of reference I was recently offered a prop position at a card room to start the 100/200 mixed games, I would be paid 25/hour - 1/8 of a big bet (I didn't take the offer).

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2006, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking something like $25/hr is fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is--if the house is dropping $250/hr. I doubt that's the case, no matter how much they're raking.

$10-15/hr would be a very generous wage to pay a 5/10 limit prop player. Remember, much of your time will be spent doing nothing (waiting for a game to start, and giving up your seat if the game fills).
Old 01-30-2007, 08:24 AM

$250 an hour is not an unreasonable assumption. These places generally rake $5 at $50, $5 at $300, $5 at $1000, and $5 every thousand thereafter...at the standard loose 5/10nl game $10 per hand average is basically guaranteed...25 hands an hour etc...