FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 6. FR MP2 w/ 88
Raise 2 4.88%
Call 19 46.34%
Fold 20 48.78%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2007, 06:42 PM

Default Re: The \"Halloween is ridiculous thread\"

I was a "screw Halloween" guy so far this week. I didn't go out at all this weekend since every Halloween, it's full of drunk people being jackasses.

That said, I'm really fired up about going out tonight. How can you not like the slutty-whatever's or the naughty-whatever's. It's the one time women think it's ok to wear out lingerie. I wish we could convince them it's ok to do it all the time.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:45 PM

This thread is reminding me of the difference between old decaying me and some of you whippersnappers like Iggy here. Our parties all happened last weekend; nobody I know is staging anything tonight or going out, etc. I think having to get up before noon tomorrow is another difference.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:13 PM

was out today and had to go ina few stores. having to deal with people dressed like goblins, witches, whatever makes me wanna hurl.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:03 PM

1. Driving to better neighborhoods has been standard from when I was a kid. I've never lived in a neighborhood that got tons of trick or treaters as our properties are about 1/2-1 acres each and a block only holds 5-6 houses so the kids would skip our area.

2. There was one house a few years ago where I took my daughter T-O-T who gave out a ziploc baggy with 5-6 full size candy bars. The group of kids I was in charge of made sure that we circled the block and went back to that house again.

3. Tonight I'm taking my daughter and her bestest friend to Laughlin for a "safe" trick or treating/Halloween party on the waterfront. Seems that 14-15 is pushing the age and although they're too old to feel comfortable going door to door they can't wait to go to a "party". Stopping at the haunted house sponsored by my local bar first, ldo.

4. I can appreciate the OP's comments/viewpoints/thoughts, but ffs, this is the one "holiday" where you can get away without doing anything without repercussions. Turn off your porch light and enjoy evening as normal, no need to get worked up over it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

5. We never kept candy in our pantry growing up, I don't do it now for my kid, this is not normal? I can't see having bags of candy in the house unless it's the day before Halloween or the weeks afterwards. Interesting to me that people do keep candy in the house year round.

T
Old 10-31-2007, 08:05 PM

[censored] nit. your britches are on way too tight. Halloween is a blast.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tonight I'm taking my daughter and her bestest friend to Laughlin for a "safe" trick or treating/Halloween party on the waterfront.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ugh. They started those here when I was growing up - the elementary school we attended started having a carnival or fair or whatever. It totally ruins the whole theme IMO, which is to knock on the doors of total strangers and get them to give you something for free. In a society of bigger walls and increasingly impersonal means of communication (text messaging, e-mail) it is one of the best times for friendly interaction.

It also plays to the general theme of paranoia about kids and their safety, etc. Way back when we NEVER had a parent supervise us - there were plenty of people out on the street anyway and we traveled in a group so there were no safety concerns. Now it seems like half the neighborhood is out wandering around with their kids. Safety in numbers taken to the extreme. "Boo", if you will.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:21 PM

I was just thinking about this. In my very churchy community, the kids all go to church Halloween whatevers. Every year it gets less and less the numbers of kids that trick-or-treat. It's sad.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:24 PM

tuq- Dirk will be treating at my house tonight...then I turn out my light. Holla.

nath- Austin may be the most bestest place in the world for most occasions when speaking of [censored]!

Gobias-

[ QUOTE ]
1)I don't make gay wagers w/ internet strangers on anything, but FYI I'm in pretty damn good shape. You might weigh 150lbs and can run a 4min mile for all I know. Guaranteed in the eyes of the viewing public, I have a better body than you.

[/ QUOTE ]

150 lbs? lol. You are just wrong time after time. Keep guessing though it is kind of amusing.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Austin may be the most bestest place in the world for most occasions when speaking of [censored]!

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you live in LA?
Old 10-31-2007, 08:59 PM

darko,

Were you born a bitter middle-aged person?

regards,
schundler