Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2006, 10:02 AM

Default ***Election Day Thread***

The day some of us have been waiting for has arrived. Its a big day in Politics: the day when the American people will choose their representatives in Congress and in thousands of local races.

Use this thread to post voting questions and trip reports, local election beats and brags, low content D or R boosterism, or election results and rumors. However, I will ask that those of you who are opposed to government in general keep your opposition to yourselves in this thread.

If you are looking for what is going to happen, the Senate couldn't be tighter. The latest polls suggest that the Dems will control 50 seats, GOP will control 49 and one state is exactly tied. The Dems need 51 seats to control the Senate. My read is that the Senate will hinge on Missouri and Virginia: the Dems need to win both to win, although we'll have to wait for the results from Montana to be sure. The House is a little more favorable for the Dems, but anything can happen.

If you are looking for election results, you can check your favorite big media website or watch this thread. But you can stick around here as your fellow 2+2s are glued to their TV's waiting for the outcome, including those with a custom title on the line. I hope to see you here.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:11 AM

Default Re: ***Official Election Day Thread***

Sure, I'll play. I put on my statist hat and ended up picking between a few different candidates that seemed almost exactly the same. I think I voted to repeal all of the taxes when offered with the initiatives and the Libertarian candidate got my vote for the Senate seat. I didn't vote for the House seat, and I think Republicans ended up with my vote for the other random low-profile spots.

This is for the eastside of Seattle. Overall, I'd say it was a fun waste of time.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:21 AM

Default Re: ***Election Day Thread***

Now that the OP is written, I can take off my mod hat. I'm really looking forward to this election. The Dems are on their way to victory in the House, so no matter what this election will be a victory for me. But we'll have some serious election day drama in the Senate, you can flip a coin whether the Dems will be able to take control there.

My election day plans right now are to vote before work in the morning and surf during the day trying to find some exit poll rumors. After work, I'm thinking about dropping by the election night party of Tammy Duckworth, the Democrat House candidate from my district running in one of the tightest races in the country. You will be hearing about how she did in this thread.

With the predicted Democratic gains in Congress, America will be moving in the right direction. But if you're still not sure who to vote for, I started this thread to shill for the Dems. There is a pretty good debate here about the positions of the two parties and I encourage you to read it if you are undecided.

Also, I encourage all of 2+2 to get to the polls and vote. If you need to be persuaded to vote, I made that case in an earlier post.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:33 AM

I am eagerly anticipating gridlock. Go Dems!
Old 11-06-2006, 11:33 AM

Some links to follow the action:

http://hotlineblog.nationaljournal.com/
http://www.cqpolitics.com/
http://politicalwire.com/
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/TheNo...238&page=1
http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/
http://cookpolitical.com/
http://rothenbergpoliticalreport.blogspot.com/
http://www.pollster.com/blogs/

My guess is Drudge is a pretty good bet for any early exit polling information. With late generic ballots trending to the GOP, it will be interesting to see if they're indicative of a late-GOP comeback or merely simple variance. Mark Blumenthal (the pollster.com link) has a good write-up:

"Nonetheless, the shifts have been enough to convince my "local regression" estimator (the blue line in the figure) to turn down for the first time in a while. Since the blue trend line considers ALL the polls, it is not overly sensitive to single polls, though the combined weight of Gallup, ABC/WP and Pew is enough to move it down about 4 points, from +15 to +11 for the Dems."

I assume Saddam news + general GOP advantage in activation and turnout operations in the last few days are having some effect.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:59 AM

Isn't this supposed to be tomorrow, I'm confused. (I already voted)
Old 11-06-2006, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a large turnout expected, so they split it up this year.

Republicans are supposed to vote tomorrow, Democrats on Wednesday.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a large turnout expected, so they split it up this year.

Republicans are supposed to vote tomorrow, Democrats on Wednesday.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got it all wrong. With turnout so high, Democrats and the illegal immigrants who they plan on bringing with them to the polls are supposed to vote tomorrow in the districts already listed on their voter registration. Republican voters, however, in an attempt to expedite the lines and such (which will be crowded with all the Democrats, their illegal immigrant friends and possibly their dead relatives), have been instructed to vote in neighboring counties/precincts. If you're turned away from the closest neighboring precinct, you should drive to the next furthest one away and so on until you find the right one. Married GOP voters should also keep in mind that the voting system is designed to know that your spouse will vote similar to you, so only one of you actually needs to go cast a ballot.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:46 PM

election reading
Old 11-06-2006, 01:49 PM

I thought about deleting TC's post on the oft chance that anyone might not pick up on the sarcasm, but I see that the free market of ideas has trumped jackbooted thuggery yet again. Election day is Tuesday.

Also, I have been asked to unsticky this thread because stickied & unlocked threads are a no-no. I'll do the linked and locked sticky instead.