Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2007, 12:53 AM

Default Any of you major in Biology?

Any biology or similar majors in here that didnt go to medical/dental/vet school? Im curious what sort of careers people usually go into b/c all biology majors i know are premed.
(this doesnt involve me, im majoring in ChemE for now)
Old 08-26-2007, 12:55 AM

Default Re: Any of you major in Biology?

[ QUOTE ]
Any biology or similar majors in here that didnt go to medical/dental/vet school? Im curious what sort of careers people usually go into b/c all biology majors i know are premed.
(this doesnt involve me, im majoring in ChemE for now)

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, but I do work in a biology lab which will be filled with both graduate and undergraduate students who focused on biology next week.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:04 AM

sorry im really tired and my thinking abilities are falling, are you making some sort of a jab at biology majors or are you saying your employer hires alot of them?
Old 08-26-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry im really tired and my thinking abilities are falling, are you making some sort of a jab at biology majors or are you saying your employer hires alot of them?

[/ QUOTE ]

No jab, i just work in a biology lab, but am not a biology major. I will, however, be working with several biology majors in the coming weeks, and that was what you were asking about right? What biology majors who don't go to med school do.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:47 PM

Disclaimers: I wasn't a biology major; I do happen to work for a university in a position to care what our graduates do after they finish; and Alaska is not necessarily a typical market.

A lot of ours wind up working for state Fish and Game. Some stay to work at the university's experimental farm. Going on to medicine is not real common, since Alaska has no pre-med program (people intending on pre-med do 2 years here and 2 years at UW in Seattle) - though some of them may change their minds a few years later to pursue medicine. Some go to be underlings at pharmaceutical companies and such places. (But both this path and the medicine path are probably more likely for the chemistry majors - a lot of biochem and environmental chem, not much pure chemistry. Similarly, a lot of wildlife biology degrees, not just general biology.) And of course a lot of them wind up not finding work in their field.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:25 PM

I'm not but I've worked with a few dozen who went into clinical research (drug testing)

chez
Old 08-26-2007, 07:59 PM

yeah, sorry i wasnt cognitive when i wrote that responce. What sort of research field are you in?
Old 08-26-2007, 08:03 PM

I recently graduated with a degree in bio

Im taking a year off and doing tutoring, and playing for money. Im currently flipflopping between going to law school or getting a phd in a game theory/behaviour field.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:11 AM

Basically, a BS in biology is next to worthless, IMO. Its not that you can't make a living with it, its that you could make a comparable living in a comparable job without it. So, they end up going to med school, law school, or getting a PhD.

Good friend of mine went to the same school as me, we graduated together, but he went and got a job after getting his BS in biology. He currently works as a lab tech, for the last four years, and he makes pretty decent money. I'm not knocking this path. But his coworkers have associate's degrees or BAs in other fields, stuff like that, and they do the same work. He has a BS, but it isn't necessary for what he does (tech at a forensics lab).
Old 08-27-2007, 02:48 AM

pharmacology & toxicology... med school bound