Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is your favorite team your hometown team?
Yes 146 67.91%
No 69 32.09%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2007, 11:02 PM

Default Re: Fight for Online Gaming!! -- Plan for weeks of 4/30 & 5/7

I found a website where you can send messages to newspaper editors in your state (and others if you wish), and your representatives.

Take Action

I wrote every newspaper listed in Ohio, and my reps (again).
Old 05-03-2007, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I found a website where you can send messages to newspaper editors in your state (and others if you wish), and your representatives.

Take Action

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for posting the link. Did any of your letters get published?
Old 05-11-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Take Action

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is a repost of FoxNews Email Addys. Please send your opinions to FoxNews as well.

Comments@foxnews.com, AmericasNewsroom@foxnews.com, Beltway@foxnews.com, Myword@foxnews.com, Bigstory-weekend@foxnews.com, Bigstory-weekend@foxnews.com, Bullsandbears@foxnews.com, Cash@foxnews.com, Cavuto@foxnews.com, Fncimag@foxnews.com, Forbes@foxnews.com, Friends@foxnews.com, Comments@foxnews.com, Feedback@foxnews.com, Jamie@foxnews.com, Feedback@foxnews.com, Fncspecials@foxnews.com, FNS@foxnews.com, Newswatch@foxnews.com, Foxreport@foxnews.com, Foxreport@foxnews.com, Atlarge@foxnews.com, Hannityandcolmes@foxnews.com, Heartland@foxnews.com, JER@foxnews.com, Lineup@foxnews.com, Martha@foxnews.com, Ontherecord@foxnews.com, Oreilly@foxnews.com, Redeye@foxnews.com, Special@foxnews.com, Studiob@foxnews.com, Comments@foxnews.com, Cavuto@foxnews.com, Hemmer@foxnews.com, colonelscorner@foxnews.com, Comments@foxnews.com, Fatherjonathan@foxnews.com, Drmanny@foxnews.com, Lisonlaw@foxnews.com, Housecall@foxnews.com

Also Email these people:

Rush Limbaugh - Rush@eibnet.com - Small Government Conservative (No flaming me please)

Neal Boortz - http://boortz.com/cgi-bin/mail.cgi?id=boortz
Neal has spoken for our cause MANY times on his radio show.

American Thinker - editor@americanthinker.com - These guys get quoted all the time on the radio

Matt Drudge - drudge@drudgereport.com - Small Government Conservative (No flaming me please)
Old 05-05-2007, 08:33 PM

More good press! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

LA Times endorses Frank's bill while chastising the US for ignoring the WTO ruling:

LA Times Editorial: Gambling hypocrisy
Old 05-06-2007, 03:32 AM

Engineer,

Perhaps a new action thread should be devoted to contacting members of Congress re the stance of the US Trade Rep on the WTO ruling and stressing the potential negatives of same such as paying compensation to ALL who demand same (not just Antigua as refereced in Jay's thread by a poster), and the harm it could do to other US issues before the WTO in the future. Also, it could be suggested that the members of the appropriate oversight committees in each house subpoena that Trade Office dick and ask him to explain his actions and the potential liabilities entailed.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Fight for Online Gaming!! -- Weekly action thread

Bump, please write your congressman and ask them to support HR 2406.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Fight for Online Gaming!! -- Plan for week of 5/7

Well, what an interesting two weeks. Barney Frank introduced HR 2046: IGREA . And, it picked up 11 cosponsors right off the bat! However, in anticipation of losing the WTO final appeal, last week the USTR has apparently announced that the U.S. would withdraw from the gambling portion of the GATS agreement.

So, it seems there's a lot we can be doing right now. And, we really need to do it RIGHT NOW, before these politicians make up their minds. So, let's do the following:
<font color="brown">
1. Contact your congressman and senators by phone and by mail. Ask them to support and cosponsor HR 2046. Maybe comment on that fact that this bill protects from underage gambling and money laundering while protecting the rights of adults. Also, mention that you just want to play poker (if that's the case). Even though this wouldn't make a difference in a perfect world, non-gamblers can understand poker over online roulette. Also, this way it's easy to end the call with something like "come on...all I want to do is play a little poker". Additionally, let's ask our representatives and senators to honor our commitments to the WTO in this matter.

2. Contact the majority and minority offices of the House Financial Services Committee (that's where the bill is now) and the Financial Institutions Subcommittee (one phone call AND one snail mail letter).

3. Contact (write and call) the majority and the minority offices of the House Subcommittee on Trade. Remind them of our WTO obligations.

4. Let's thank the 11 (to date) cosponsors of HR 2046. This can be via a short phone call, a handwritten letter, or a donation if you feel compelled (I'll give a little something this week). They are:

Rep. Gary Ackerman [D-NY]
Rep. Shelley Berkley [D-NV]
Rep. Michael Capuano [D-MA]
Rep. Julia Carson [D-IN]
Rep. William Clay [D-MO]
Rep. Luis Gutiérrez [D-IL]
Rep. Steve Israel [D-NY]
Rep. Peter King [R-NY]
Rep. Ronald Paul [R-TX]
Rep. Melvin Watt [D-NC]
Rep. Robert Wexler [D-FL]

We've focused on almost half of the 12 (counting Frank), so it looks like we've been doing the right things so far, given our size.

5. Write to your local newspaper, media outlets, television shows, websites, and any other media you can think of to promote our cause.
</font>

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-07-2007, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Fight for Online Gaming!! -- Plan for week of 5/7

Rep. Shelley Berkley [D-NV] introduced HR 2140, an Internet gambling study bill. It looks like a bill we can get behind. It already has 60 cosponsors. If you support it, please tell your congressman. Thanks.

H.R. 2140: To provide for a study by the National Academy of Sciences to identify the proper response of the...
Old 05-08-2007, 10:00 PM

Here's my note to my congressman. As it's like my 8th note this year, it's short and to the point:

The Honorable My Rep
United States House of Representatives
1108 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515-1704

Dear Congressman xxx:

I'm writing to request that you vote for HR 2140, Rep. Shelley Berkley's Internet gaming study bill. While the opponents of online gaming have made a list of potential issues purported to be caused by online gaming, there’s never been a study that either verifies the validity of these claims or examines potential mitigations. It seems this should be done prior to even considering a federal prohibition of Internet gambling, especially as this activity is legal in much of the rest of the world.

If Americans are to be less free than Europeans, perhaps we should at least have some substantiation to justify a federal power grab of this magnitude.

Thanks for your consideration.

Sincerely,

TheEngineer
Old 05-07-2007, 08:25 AM

"A coalition of major amateur and professional sports leagues is urging members of the House Financial Services Committee to oppose legislation unveiled by Chairman Barney Frank (D-Mass.) that would undo last year’s crackdown on illegal online gambling."

I think we should all write to the NFL, the NBA, and the MLB (especially the NFL) and ask them to at least sit this one out. They really have no business actively working and campaigning against our rights. Remind them that they frequently come to the taxpayers for stadiums and other freebees.

Also, let's write to their advertisers, such as Budweiser. We can tell Anheuser-Busch and Miller Brewing Co. that this prohibition is no more just than the Prohibition of the '20s. The good thing here is that we KNOW advertisers are very sensitive to their customers' opinions, so they'll read these letters. Also, we're their target market. They care more about us than they do about Kyl's crowd, by far.

Sports leagues mobilize against Frank’s gaming bill