Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 08:51 AM

Default Norton internet security is comming up with errors

Before you all berate me for using norton, it came with my dell and I have an 18month subscription which I intend to use, though I will probably ditch it after that.

After my last liveupdate through norton, when I re-boot, norton I get an error box containing the following: Auto protect experienced an unexpected error 0x00000ce3 3035,12

And in the norton protection centre there is a red dot next to virus protection. If I click 'Fix this Problem' it tries to open live-update and one of two things happen... 1) It runs liveupdate, finds no updates, and goes back to exactly how it was before... or 2) It comes up with an error saying liveupdate is already running.

I have run an independant macafee virus scan and also spybot and I don't think I have a virus (but I could be wrong) - norton support are very unhelpful, it seems like I am talking to a computer, all they say is re-install this - re-install that.....

Apart from norton, everything else seems to be working fine.

Any suggestions (which do not involve the complete removal of nortan) would be great.

Thanks
Old 11-06-2007, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Norton internet security is comming up with errors

Well it's been 12 hours since you posted this question and you've gotten no replies. I think that answers your question. Seriously.

Short of unintalling/reinstalling Norton, I don't know what to tell you. Oh and good luck uninstalling it. Norton makes it VERY difficult to get off your machine in most cases. So much so, they even have a special "tool" that you can download to help remove it....if you can find the link to that "tool". I uninstall Norton from new computers I order for customers every week and I'd say about 60%+ of them I have some sort of weird problem of difficulty getting Norton uninstalled.

Not being a jerk, but an uninstall/reinstall and lots of praying is your only hope with Norton. However, you already know what we all think of Norton.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:38 PM

To add, that Norton would not be on your Dell if you didn't order it.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Before you all berate me for using norton, it came with my dell and I have an 18month subscription which I intend to use, though I will probably ditch it after that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? You have purchased a lemon - are you going to continue to put up with it for the sake of "getting value"???

Ditch it immediately.

Would you continue to drink poison because you were tricked in to purchasing it? really?

It is widely berated because it makes a fast computer run like it is wading through tar, and sometimes things like this occur:

[ QUOTE ]

After my last liveupdate through norton, when I re-boot, norton I get an error box containing the following: Auto protect experienced an unexpected error 0x00000ce3 3035,12

[/ QUOTE ]

Tx,

[ QUOTE ]

Norton makes it VERY difficult to get off your machine in most cases. So much so, they even have a special "tool" that you can download to help remove it....if you can find the link to that "tool". I uninstall Norton from new computers I order for customers every week and I'd say about 60%+ of them I have some sort of weird problem of difficulty getting Norton uninstalled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I go for a format / Windows reinstall these days [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

It is potentially more time consuming that removing Norton - but 100% successful [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] And at least the time taken is a known factor... nothing pisses me off more than attempting to remove it / it going wrong / attempting to fix it - by the time i'd finished, I'd be lik e"damn I could have formatted in half the time" [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Do I generally don't bother even trying any more, lol.

dave.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:23 AM

Ok - looks like norton is going to have to go...