Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 05:03 PM

Default Re: LASIK Vision Correction

KingDan,

you will likely be told to let your eyes stabilize before getting the procedure.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:12 PM

KingDan,

That's the $1MM question. Without much long term research, what does/will happen down the road? It was explained to me that the surgery corrects your vision to near perfect from the way it is that day.

With Lasik the doctor reshapes the tissue underneath the cornea. If you're nearsighted (as I was), my corneal shape (word?) had flattened so they shaved down the sides to more of a peak. That's how I understood the process.

Could my eyes continue to flatten now? I'm guessing. My cornea healed well and has a good thickness to it. So if they told me in 10 years I'd have to get it re-done...I wouldn't be that upset and would've felt for the 15 years it was $$ well spent.

I wore gas permeable hard contacts which were a pain. I had poor vision (don't remember the exact #'s) and dry eyes (winter in the Midwest) with contacts....yuck.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Had it done about two years ago. No problems so far.
Don't be cheapass and go for the cheap procedure. It's your livelyhood at stake. I paid 5K for Wavefront LASIK.

[/ QUOTE ]

see avatar for bonus side effects.

LAZEREYES
Old 10-19-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im considering getting lasik over the summer, and id like to know what the community thinks of it. basically my concern is safety. i have heard there is irreperable damage in 1/10000 cases, and worsening vision in 1/1000 cases. Does anyone know of someone who has had the procedure & it went badly?

Also any recommendations of Doc's in the southeast would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yellow, listen up man. It's the best money you will ever spend. My wife (26 years old) was -425 in one eye and -375 in the other eye and now she sees perfect. The whole process took about 30 seconds. The day I took her there, the doctor did 133 sets of eyes. We paid 4800.00 for it (well I did lol) I'm fortunate to have 20/20. My wife wore glasses and contacts her whole life. She walked out of the office and could read my shirt. You can't drive for like a day and a half afterwards and have to wear these goggles at night so you don't scratch your eyes for like a week. We got ours done at filutoski eye institute who has done over 35,000 of them. They are located in Lake Mary, FL. I encourage you to watch their video on their website filutoskieye.com hope this helps man and seriously, best money you'll ever spend.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:14 PM

this is encouraging, i def think i will be doing the procedure now. 2 things though.

is there a ranking list for doc's that is regional? i have only found a national ranking

how bad is the dry eyes? i detest putting drops in my eyes, will this wind up being an issue?
Old 10-19-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is there a ranking list for doc's that is regional? i have only found a national ranking

[/ QUOTE ]

Link?
Old 10-19-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

how bad is the dry eyes? i detest putting drops in my eyes, will this wind up being an issue?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dry eyes are like waking up in the morning after a hangover. You have trouble opening up your eyes and focusing correctly and it causes you to keep your eyes closed so that your eyes can try to tear up. If you wear contacts now, imagine yourself wearing contacts and never blinking. Or imagine taking your contacts out and forgetting to put them into saline solution. What happens to the contacts? They dry out and shrivel up.

Not using drops WILL be an issue. It's mandatory because the cornea flap is so fragile that you want to keep it moist so that it heals correctly. It's only a month, it's not that bad. As your cornea starts to dry, it begins to shrink and shrivel up. By keeping it moist, you are keeping it from doing that. Not putting in the drops will put strain on the edges where the cornea was cut and it could cause you additional problems.

At least that is my take on it.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:35 PM

Best way is to talk to people who have them done. This is your best reference. Any office can have nice ads and etc, but personal reference is more reliable.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Link?

[/ QUOTE ]

it was in a magazine
Old 10-19-2007, 02:53 PM

Where I live, there are (at least) two major providers, each who basically claim the other is using inferior older technologies and techniques. I have no clue as to which is better, but eventually I will research it since I think I might want this, too.