Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2006, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Vegas Trip Report - New Year\'s - Mandalay Part 1

Actually, I like taking the shuttles. I look at the ride as a free sightseeing tour. Get to ride around to several of the Hotels and see what has changed recently. Plus you can have some fun conversations with the newbies who have never been in Vegas before. Beats paying more for a cab and getting a hustle from the driver to take you to whatever strip club he is getting a kickback from.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:36 PM

I've been to Vegas 15 times and taken a cab from the airport all 15 times.

a) i've never been asked to go to a strip club
b) my point was not that it may or may not be more scenic to take the shuttle. my point was the OP was trying to SAVE MONEY by taking the shuttle, when shortly thereafter, he played $25 hands of blackjack. those actions are incongruous.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my point was the OP was trying to SAVE MONEY by taking the shuttle, when shortly thereafter, he played $25 hands of blackjack. those actions are incongruous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more w/ this statement--even all the people who worry about every dime off the hotel room (don't get me wrong, I'm all for poker room rate if I'm staying there), or the cheapest buffet.

Even if you're playing for moderate stakes in a cardroom, what's two $15 cab rides over the course of 4 days?

Guess this is one of those characteristics that make us poker players so endearing.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been to Vegas 15 times and taken a cab from the airport all 15 times.

a) i've never been asked to go to a strip club
b) my point was not that it may or may not be more scenic to take the shuttle. my point was the OP was trying to SAVE MONEY by taking the shuttle, when shortly thereafter, he played $25 hands of blackjack. those actions are incongruous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I was trying out the shuttle. What if it turns out to be a good idea? Might as well find out before I take the cab 10 more times and then find out I coulda saved $100. As for the blackjack, even though I was drunk, I know basic strategy upwards and downwards and I made every play correctly. With their rules, that's an expectation of less than -$2 for the number of hands I played. Flipping for $25 a hand and spending an extra $10 on a semi-luxury are two different things. (Side note, I made about $150 counting cards in downtown)
Old 01-05-2006, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could have sworn I didn't click Brick and Mortar before reading this post...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if I did that, I'd have the B&M folks complaining that trip report part 2 doesn't have any B&M.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I could have sworn I didn't click Brick and Mortar before reading this post...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if I did that, I'd have the B&M folks complaining that trip report part 2 doesn't have any B&M.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do us a favor and skip part 2.