Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 01:00 AM

Default Need help Re: common sense/common knowledge

I need some help with my brother. He's 23, graduated from college, and attending pharmacy school this fall. He had 13XX SAT scores, went to a top 25 national university (B.S. Biology) -- basically, he's not stupid. He can hack it with the book larnin'. Problem is, he fails with just about everything else in life. He has gaping holes in knowledge of some very basic aspects of everyday life.

To give you an idea of what I mean, these are some things he knows nothing about: credit rating, Newt Gingrich, (insurance) deductible, ampere, shutter speed. Now, if you're thinking, damn, I couldn't define ampere either, that's not what I mean. If there was a multiple choice question and these choices, he couldn't pick out the correct answer, is what I mean.

He's going across the country for school in a few months, and since my parents left the country, it's basically my responsibility to make sure he's all right, and I'm scared as hell. Like, how's he going to figure out how a (rental) lease contract works? Auto insurance? That reminds me of this one: He got hit by another car a few years ago and all he took down was her name and number. Not even the license plate number. He got an earful from me about that. He got rear ended a month ago, and all he took down was name, phone number, and insurance policy number. Again, not even the license plate no. Fortunately, I didn't have any problems with the info.

I'm the smart one in the family and take an interest in topics like art, philosophy, public policy, along with my professional interests. With my brother, I can't have a conversation about ANYTHING, save perhaps family things or the sitcom we might be watching.

I thought about making this post before for some advice/leads, and here was the final straw that did it. Today, he came back from the Army recruiter to see what they might offer regarding tuition help and whatnot. I asked him if he would get an (officer) commission. He didn't know what the difference between enlisted and officer ranks was, nevermind appreciate what a monumental difference there was between the two. Are you guys getting the picture here?

He's always kind of been like this, and I'm fairly resigned to it. There's only so much you can change. He's just not very curious about this world and not very driven to do anything, really. He pretty much fails at life in most respects, and I'm surprised he even got accepted to pharmacy school. The idea that he's no good at anything else so he should become a "doctor" is absurd to me. Btw, the reason he's going to pharm is because my parents pushed him real hard and basically babysat him through the process. My sister also went to pharm school. My (Asian) mom kind of chose the path for them because she recognizes that both of them are kind of clueless and that this sort of thing (not very taxing on the intellect, it's really just a lot of following the directions stuff) would fit them well, and it pays well, too.

What could I do try to avoid/delay/minimize the inevitable trainwreck which is the rest of his life? He'll probably end up living as a prole, regardless of what degree he ends up with (that BS hasn't done [censored] for him in the last year that he's been living with me). Got any suggestions for books that teach you this basic [censored], or maybe some Tony Robbins type stuff? Anyone have personal experiences with people they know? Can people really change? I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:02 AM

You should pm edtost.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:05 AM

tl;r1/2. Since it's your responsibility to make sure he's all right, maybe you should have made it your responsibility to teach him the very basic aspects of everyday life.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:08 AM

Default Re: Need help Re: common sense/common knowledge

[ QUOTE ]
tl;r1/2. Since it's your responsibility to make sure he's all right, maybe you should have made it your responsibility to teach him the very basic aspects of everyday life.

[/ QUOTE ]

When he was 8, I was 11. Sorry, doesn't make me his surrogate dad. My parents left in the last year which is why I'm making sure he at least makes it to the first day of class alright. Doesn't mean I'm retroactively responsible for everything that went wrong.

And that doesn't help my problem at all.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should pm edtost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I am not familiar with edtost. Context, please.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:10 AM

In all seriousness, help him find a nice girlfriend who can take care of some of that stuff for him... it's unlikely he'll just snap out of it.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:12 AM

is he happy with his life? if he's happy i don't see why you'd need to make him sound like such a chud, seems as if he's picked a career that suits him and he's not too worried about anything.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In all seriousness, help him find a nice girlfriend who can take care of some of that stuff for him... it's unlikely he'll just snap out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my fantasy scenario. He finds a smart wife to take care of that. Kind of how I stopped worrying about my sister. He's not brilliant or anything, but he's competent at life.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my fantasy scenario. He finds a smart wife to take care of that. Kind of how I stopped worrying about my sister. He's not brilliant or anything, but he's competent at life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly I'd probably have managed to forget to feed myself at some point over the last month or two if I didn't have my girlfriend, and I don't totally suck at common sense... some people just don't do so well at the life thing on their own, lol. But look in bookstores and not bars... he needs someone a bit on the domestic side I would imagine.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You should pm edtost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I am not familiar with edtost. Context, please.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just send him a pm with the subject line "I heard you are smart but have no effing common sense." Tell him I sent you.